Penn State DC

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've been waiting for the HF DC to go on sale to pickup one that I can use on the other side of the shop with the cnc, sanders, and lathe. I did a quick craigslist search after lunch and this Penn State 2Hp DC2000X had just gotten listed.
2020-06-30 17.50.12.jpg 2020-06-30 17.49.56.jpg

I paid $150 and feel that was a good deal. I would have had to pay at least that for the HF and then still had to order the Wynn filter. This one came with the 1 micron filter and he threw in some extra plastic bags for the bottom. He has one inside the cloth one. He had already listed all the other tools in the shop last week and folks were picking them up, he realized he forgot this and listed it today.

Killer deal for the price.

I see he already did the stovepipe mod. I did kind of something similar on my HF.. but lifted the motor up so it was a straight shot into the bag, that actually helped my velocity a fair bit.

Killer deal for the price.

I see he already did the stovepipe mod. I did kind of something similar on my HF.. but lifted the motor up so it was a straight shot into the bag, that actually helped my velocity a fair bit.
Thanks, I hadn't quite figured out why he did the pipe, now I know! :thumb Guess I should try that on my HF unit.

Thanks, I hadn't quite figured out why he did the pipe, now I know!

Yeah it's just basically reducing the amount of flex pipe in the system. Can make a fair bit of difference especially on a marginal system.

I pulled the splitter off of my HF unit as well and run 5" pipe from it. That doesn't work for very long runs but I put everything that uses it in a tight cluster around the DC so it gets me a little more oomph where I need it (it's split back out to 2x4" at the bandsaw and drops to 4" right on top of the drum sander, my TS and jointer/planer are the metric equivalent of real close to 5" which drove some of my design choices).

Darren I went with the Wynn 35c222nano Merv 15 dust capture. Whatever that means. I do notice significant different in collect of dust. Costly but well worth it. Should have done it years ago but I'm cheap. You really got a bargain on that collector. In looking for info on filter came across what my HF cost me lots of years ago. After discounts and haggling I paid $167.
David

Some years ago I put on the original 35A - which I see is now replaced by the same one David has and its up to $225 now 😲 I guess I shoulda been more careful knocking dust out of the thing!!

I've had the PSI DC2000 for about fifteen years, and it's rugged and reliable, but I went a different way for the top filter. I bought it with the cartridge filter and hated the constant clogging when using it on a sander, so I bought a custom made 1 micron-rated American Fabric Filter bag that's 36" in diameter and 7 feet (!) tall.