Bleaching cedar wardrobe cabinet

starr moore

Hi to All,
I am new to the forum and could use some help. I am trying to bleach a cedar wardrobe cabinet for my daughter. She would like it as light as possible. I have been using 50/50 household bleach and water. it has lighten considerably but when I bring the doors in at night the next morning they are at least 2-3 shades darker. My conclusion is that I need to lighten them up more because they are obviously absorbing moisture from the air in my home. Does anyone think I should try the lye and hydrogen peroxide solution? If so how do I mix it and apply?
Thanks

Here is a thread on the subject that I posted some years ago.
I found that sodium Hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide worked best. I was able to buy a kit from Woodcraft and I understand that Jeff Jewitt at Homestead finishes has a kit also.
Hope this helps

Here is a thread on the subject that I posted some years ago.
I found that sodium Hydroxide and hydrogen peroxide worked best. I was able to buy a kit from Woodcraft and I understand that Jeff Jewitt at Homestead finishes has a kit also.
Hope this helps
Thanks Don. I will check those out.

The lye/peroxide mix will likely be your best bet (be aware of it's inherent hazards!), but it's likely that the cedar will re-darken over time.
Is this Eastern white cedar, Western red cedar, or one of the aromatic cedars? they'll likely all react differently to the bleach.

Just a note, Starr, I visited the church where I did the commission and the Dove and communion Host are still as white as paper 10 years later.
Oh and welcome to the forum. Please post picture of some of you work and also this project as you do it, we like pictures so feel free to share.