Shop comfort

Tom Baugues

I tend to just “put up” with circumstances however the older I get I realize I need to do something in order to help myself.
I added air conditioning to my shop this week. It required replacing the window to a larger size then added a small window air unit. Wow, what a difference. Having the shop go from 90 degrees to 75 has made a huge difference in how much time I spend out here and it’s only been installed for two days. Should have done this years ago. I recently retired from my job of 42 years so it is a nice little treat.
52d7a26008612dad94a0e93f1dcafb75.plist
bdc5707fce6c0a6279f5caf406753302.jpg
934a0f042538d6fce3352ddc71b40d25.jpg
f3152bd18290b12d2bb3553600134a68.jpg
bc60370fcf19bd181673dee3ca3885fa.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congratulations on retiring and for your new shop comfort!

When I built my shop expansion after buying our place here in GA in 2006, I put a hole in a wall sized for a small A/C unit. I keep the thermostat set for 80° most of the time so it helps without having to run too much.

Looks great. Went out the shop this afternoon for some small jobs, 20 minutes I left for the a/ c in the house. Almost got sick from heat and humidity. I may look into this solution.
Congratulations on retiring. Now you can work longer and harder for less money. And it messes up your weekends.
David

Told Lou a couple of nights ago we should consider it for the house next year. (have never had air except in our Purdue Married Student Housing apartment). Then I might consider one in my shop someday, but really should get some heat in there for this winter first. Congratulations Tom on your retirement. Hope the leg has healed and all is good in your world.

I must be part lizard.... 90 degrees in the shop doesn't bother me at all.... 50 degrees or lower will keep me closer to a heat source though.... I have a 20" box fan on a homemade stand that I put directly behind me at the lathe and I'm comfortable.... fortunately, because of the big oak behind the shop at one end and the big elm opposite on the other side and the holly in front, it's mostly shaded and 90 is very rare... usually about 80, so the fan keeps it cool enough.
I have a small electric oil radiator that I'll sometimes heat up when it's cold... it will help a little, but doesn't warm that cold metal of the lathe and chucks... when my feet get cold, it's time for the house.

Congratulations on the retirement.... I retired in 2005 after 40 years in my industry... it's been fun.

I would love for it to get down to 90 degrees in my shop....we have just set a new record, the 50th day we have had temps above 110 this year. It is so hot the water coming out of the tap is luke warm.

Wow Don, I usually don’t mind the heat but 110 is a bit much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Anyone tried one of those small air conditioner advertised to cool one room?. It looks like about a foot square and runs on 110. Just plug on where you want it. Interesting but not going to jump until more information available.
David

Congrats on retiring. Mee too.

I had a window unit, but got sick of putting it in and taking it out. Sooo - I built it into the south wall. Now it is permanent. I have only used it twice this year.

Certainly well worth it when you need it.

I think the one foot square units are swamp cooler type, not good if you have any humidity. Likely they are as good as putting magnets on your fuel line and getting 50 mpg was advertised years back.