Upgrading PC on CNC

Don Baer

Staff member
I picked up on the black Friday online sales a new tower for LOML, she was due for an up grade so now I have her old machine to do with as I want. I am planning on putting it on the CNC to replace my old Compac win 7 laptop that I am presently running. I am planning on wiping the hard drive on her machine (lord know what she's got on there) and starting fresh so my question is do I install win 10, stay with 8 or what ever. How does Mach 3 run on win 10 ?
here is the machine I am going to use. https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03509229
I haven't opened it up yet but I am pretty sure I have upgraded the memory from the original.

I run my laser and my CNC Router on WIN10. Been a couple of years with no problems. I also have my client running Mach3 with Win10. Been a couple of years there with no problem.

Biggest issue I have with Win10 is the constant upgrades from Microsoft. They feel the need to help me with security and change my network settings. I just go and restore my setting and I am OK until the next upgrade.

I have done the install fresh Win10 a couple of times now. I have purchased it new and installed after reformatting the hard disk. Seems to go OK with a few hickups (I am not even up to amature level) by way of me not knowing what I am doing. So far I have done, maybe 4-5 computers this way and it all seems to work OK.

Clean out the computer inside the case really well. Get all the dust and dirt out. Make that an annual or semi annual preventative maint item.

Yup have ran mach3 on Windows 8, 8.1, & 10 and all ran fine. If going with 8, be sure to update to 8.1 as it does run a bit faster, but my choice would be 10. I'd swap to an ssd card if you have the spare change, will make it even faster.

Do you know what processor (i3, i5, i7, etc) and how much memory it has? I have a couple of older HP's that were running i3 processors, and I found that the MB would support faster ones. I ended up buying used i5 processors for like $10 off amazon and quadrupling the speeds. I did have one show up dead, but the seller sent me like 3 more to make sure I got one that worked.

Yup have ran mach3 on Windows 8, 8.1, & 10 and all ran fine. If going with 8, be sure to update to 8.1 as it does run a bit faster, but my choice would be 10. I'd swap to an ssd card if you have the spare change, will make it even faster.

Do you know what processor (i3, i5, i7, etc) and how much memory it has? I have a couple of older HP's that were running i3 processors, and I found that the MB would support faster ones. I ended up buying used i5 processors for like $10 off amazon and quadrupling the speeds. I did have one show up dead, but the seller sent me like 3 more to make sure I got one that worked.
I'll take the cover off and check according to the specs it came with a G645 dual core processor (?) the mother board will support a whole number of different processors.

Well I did the upgrade today changed the processor to an i5, got win 10 installed and Mach 3 up and running, I copied over the tuning parameters and it appears that I need to retune all axis, the accel rates I was using on the older lap top and windows 7 are kinda sluggish, I didn't think that would change but not they appear to be sluggish. I'll play with it tomorrow. :oops: 🤔