Old shop heaters UPDATE & Final post.

Tom Baugues

I've had these oil filled radiator type heaters for a long time. In fact they are 40 years old. I didn't realize they were that old. They work great out in the shop because there is no open flame and they do not get so hot to the touch that I worry about them starting a fire that way. There has always been an issue of the contacts in the switches tend to melt so I have replaced the switches about every other year. I found out tonight that these heaters were recalled 30 years ago. The company says they were replacing the control panel in them due to fire risk. I have bragged many times about how well these heaters have worked for me out in the shop. Still were up until about 10 minutes ago. I unplugged it and will now wait until Monday and call about the replacement parts. I hope they are still available. Actually, I'm surprised the recall was still listed online if it was 30 years ago. I'm sure the company will think I'm nuts for still using a 40 year old heater.

Attachments

• heaters.jpg
    heaters.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 22
I still use one that I think belonged to my mother in law... she passed away over 10 years ago and I'm still using her heater... don't know how long she used it before she passed away. Didn't know about any re-call and have had no problems with it in all the time I've used it... will have to look into that.

I keep an oil filled heater in the master bathroom, positioned in the rarely used Jacuzzi. It's the one room in the house that stays uniformly warm all winter.

We have similar ones (minus the recall) in both of our bathrooms. They make a great towel heater as well. The one in my bathroom was purchased at an estate sale a few years ago. In its previous life, it was a shop heater for the original owner.

UPDATE: I called Delonghi this morning and explained that I just realized that the two heaters I own were on their recall list. They asked for the model and serial numbers. I asked if they still had the replacement control panels for them but the guy said that they usually just replace the heater. He asked for my name, address and e-mail. They sent me an e-mail and asked that I return that e-mail with photos of the model and serial number tags. They also gave me a "case" number. I returned the photos to them so now I'll wait to hear from them again. Maybe they will just go ahead and ship out two new heaters...who knows...only time will tell.

So now the company has contacted me and requested that I box up the recalled heaters. They say that once they receive the heater then they will issue an order for a new one to be sent to me. They did send me a pre paid return label. So now I have to locate a cardboard box big enough to send it back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro