New Shop Journey

Lame excuse, they all just wanted to watch the rover landing. ;)
By the time you see it it will have already happened....."
  • Mars is so far away in fact that it takes radio signals quite a long time to get from the spacecraft back to Earth. During Curiosity EDL , this delay will be 13 minutes, 48 seconds, about mid-way between the minimum delay of around 4 minutes and the maximum of around 24 minutes."

Bummer, Glenn. Ah well, good things come to those who wait. (It's not as if you haven't been eaiting long enough for this moment, huh?)
Maybe the wind adversely affects drying rate?
That's the only thing I could think of, but I've watched many thousands of yards of concrete get placed and never heard of wind being used as an reason to postpone a pour. Maybe they are planning to cover it with tarps instead of a spray-on curing compound and didn't want to deal with tarps in the wind? :dunno:

In their defense we get serious wind. If I was a finisher I wouldn't want to try to provide the smooth-smooth finish I am after while dried out pieces of horse manure, tumbleweeds and random detritus were blowing across the area :D. Seriously, after a good blow we don't reach for a broom, we reach for a leaf blower and a shop vac. That is one of the reasons we want to hardscape a lot of the back yard between the shop and the house. We have acres of reserve land next to us so we will never escape it all. Visiting neighbor's houses we see proof that it can be significantly tamed with some clever hardscaping and walls.

...I've watched many thousands of yards of concrete get placed and never heard of wind being used as an reason to postpone a pour. Maybe they are planning to cover it with tarps instead of a spray-on curing compound and didn't want to deal with tarps in the wind? :dunno:
I was wondering if there are Santa Ana winds blowing, and taking the humidity way down to like 5% or so. Would humidity that low effect the pour? :dunno: I know it'd make the finishers have to work quickly.

Unknown. the guys were here about 5:30. Hung out for about 15 minutes then took off. A few minutes later the job boss texted and said "too windy". Apparently they send a canary in before they fill and roll the trucks. ;-)

Last edited:
I was wondering if there are Santa Ana winds blowing, and taking the humidity way down to like 5% or so. Would humidity that low effect the pour? :dunno: I know it'd make the finishers have to work quickly.
Yeah, good point about the Santa Ana winds. Dry, fast, and warm. It would indeed make things tougher on the finishers, and it'd also increase the possibility of surface cracking, especially if it's a wet mix or if they use very much water in the finishing process.

Awesome! Now I'm starting to get a sense of scale for the size of the shop. I'm envious of all the room you're going to have. :thumb: