Not Really Woodworking

Thank you all.

As for Solidworks, I looked into after someone suggested it to a hobbyist woodworker who was looking to get into making 3D drawings for the projects they were doing. Ha! I could buy all of the tools in my shop and have money left over for the price of a year of Solidworks. I expect any hobby woodworker using it is only doing so because their employer pays for it and doesn't mind that the employees are using it for personal stuff. ;)

Thank you all.

As for Solidworks, I looked into after someone suggested it to a hobbyist woodworker who was looking to get into making 3D drawings for the projects they were doing. Ha! I could buy all of the tools in my shop and have money left over for the price of a year of Solidworks. I expect any hobby woodworker using it is only doing so because their employer pays for it and doesn't mind that the employees are using it for personal stuff. ;)
Boy you got that right Dave I messed around with it back when I was running CNCs and before Sketch-up

Thank you Bob.

I would like to see someone who uses F360 model this thing. I wonder if Don or someone would record a video. I could send them the reference image I worked from.

I know that the steam engine is just for demonstration, but I think it should show a steam exhaust port and not only an inlet port. Great modeling project though.

Charley

I know that the steam engine is just for demonstration, but I think it should show a steam exhaust port and not only an inlet port. Great modeling project though.

Charley

Charley, the steam engine model is based on plans which are available on the web. The exhaust port is shown. Exhaust is through the center of the exhaust valve.

Last edited:
Are you coming up with a new design for a spark plug?

An interesting spark plug design, but most have the electrode shorter and the tang from the edge bridging over the end of the electrode. This arrangement makes it easier to clean and adjust the gap. Your design makes it very difficult to adjust the gap as the spark plug electrode wears away. The end of the tang would also wear away. We haven't used the brass thumb nut on the top end for 80 or more years either.

Charley

I think I am correct; back in the early 70's I had an older model hand me down tiller that used a spark plug like this. There was definitely a wire with a loop that connected to the top of a spark plug with a nut to cinch it up. The reason I remember it is because the nut vibrated loose and I lost it in the garden.

Didn't Model T engines use a spark plug with a nut on top?

That's a good way to remember something like that. :D Makes you wish you'd used a lock washer?

I wouldn't be surprised if Model Ts had plugs similar to this one.