New Shop Journey

Sorry to do that to you. Between having a Banjo (tape / mud box) and that finishing box like I linked in the video the guy was making short work out of the 2800-odd square feet of surface in the shop.
I was noticing that. I've got a good old banjo, but other than that I'd be doing everything the old fashioned way, which a banjo is also now as well. After that video I went down this rabbit hole and there are a whole slew of tools on my list now. :rolleyes: :)

It certainly would cut down on the time spent getting the tape and fill coats on, so looks like they would be money well spent for a large enough job. I'll certainly look into rental of them for sure.

So for paint, what color? And what kind of lights are you looking at?
Semi gloss white walls and ceiling. 4 foot LED shop lights. The four-way switches by every door operate outlets in three zones on the ceiling. This will allow me to change out lights easily if desired or when technology advances. At least that’s the plan.

are they sanding when done or do you have to do that? i would have them prime and paint it if they do it. yu have got really good tapers.
Walls and ceiling are to be 'paint ready' for the job to be complete. I tend to be more linear in my workflow when doing these sorts of things. The man doing the work seems to have a system of sorts. The surface area is large enough that he has different stages going in different areas. The east end has already been sanded in spots while the west end is still waiting on a final topcoat.

I had to smile at your comment on the overhead mud box work taking endurance. The man is shorter and lighter than I am and I am not a big guy. The difference is that I am just an average old guy and he looks like he's made from steel cable and shoe leather. He probably burns more calories in an hour than I do all day. ;-)

Semi gloss white walls and ceiling. ...
It won't be as much a factor in a shop, but the painting contractor who did the entire interior of our home when we bought it advised only flat paint. I had wanted to use eggshell. He explained the issue is when you have to touch up an area of a wall. With anything but flat, you really need to go corner-to-corner for the patch not to show.

It won't be as much a factor in a shop, but the painting contractor who did the entire interior of our home when we bought it advised only flat paint. I had wanted to use eggshell. He explained the issue is when you have to touch up an area of a wall. With anything but flat, you really need to go corner-to-corner for the patch not to show.
Quite correct. I've had both flat and semi-gloss in shops. The flat quickly gathers a layer of super fine dust in our dry climate. The luxury of this being "a shop" let's me get a little more reflected light and wipe-ability (if that's a word) from the semi. If there is a bit of irregularity that shows between the light fixtures and the dust collection piping it won't really bother me ;-)

In our home we went with a finish called 'velvet'. Flat having a value of <5 and semi starting at about 40, there are a few steps between; Velvet, Eggshell and Low-Sheen. Each higher sheen has a bit more light bounce and wash-ability (if that's a word). We have velvet in the house currently and have been happy with it but the shop needs something a little more 'slippery' (I'm sure that's a word) .:D

I can't believe it's actually time to dig out the DC components . . finally ;-) These are what I had wrapped in a tarp between one of the outbuildings and a retaining wall. I'll pull some more out of the trailer / storage unit and out of the garage rafters. There is a mix of pipes and fittings of different ages.
New Shop (282).jpg
I will take everything apart and clean the outsides a bit . Of course, nothing will be the same in the new shop so some of this won't get used and some new stuff will be added. I am soooo glad I bought extra 10' sticks back before pricing went through the roof.

Glenn a low sheen on the walls will help a lot when it comes to dusting the walls. Touch up as Larry said will show a bit but if you take a brown paper bag to the dried touchup and rub the outer edges of the touchup spots they will blend in better.
I've got a few nail holes that I've patched getting the house ready to sell, I'll have to give this a try.

The dust collection fairy has been leaving gifts the last couple of days.
New Shop (283).jpg
I think I mentioned before that I was dumb-lucky enough to have ordered extra pipe 15 years ago. I was dumb-lucky again and ordered more pipe and fittings a couple years ago (when I thought the shop was going to take 6 months to setup). I dug out all my stashes of connectors, fittings and short pipe sections but, still needed a few more wyes, caps and a couple of 22-1/2 degree elbows for the new build. I also need to make four more blast gates . . .
BG-No-Shop (11).jpg
. . . but that may have to wait until some machines are in the new shop. The temp shop is a disaster following the patio clean up (read mass relocation of lots of junk) so we could break out the slab for the new pour. This is not directly shop related so I am not going to load you up with all that activity. The good news is that I may be able to just roll some machines into the new shop instead of strap-carry them in with a tractor ;-)

Carefully scooping up mounds of drywall sanding dust and bagging it. It is amazing how much dust comes from this much surface prep. Once I get past moving it by the shovel full I will vacuum the rest. I'll put a Dust Deputy in line and test that out. I do put a bag over my filter when vacuuming this sort of thing. Hoping to see the painter tomorrow.

*** Update *** Surprise, the painter is here now! The drywall was supposed to be done last week and he got done on his other job early so he thought . . . why not? I feel bad that they are having to dust the walls and sweep up. That wasn't supposed to be their job. I didn't get to test the Dust Deputy. On the other hand I am glad it will be painted before I pour the next bit of slab.

Last edited: