and now you Know

I had read about the noodle count before and as a kid I slurped many a noodle from many a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.

But the burning question is how much chicken is in a can of chicken noodle soup? It turns out that if you were to find all the pieces of chicken in one 10 ounce can you would have about one ounce. If you ever paid attention you noticed that there were some really small pieces of chicken, almost microscopic, floating among all those noodles.

Having worked in the food industry and inspected one of the largest Campbell's plant I learned a few things. The average weight of the chickens used for the soup, most of which Campbell's raises themselves, is 3 pounds. After plucking, gutting and deboning there is about 2 pounds (32 ounces) of meat left. So the average chicken ends up supplying 32 cans with their chicken.

I make my own chicken noodle and chicken and rice soups these days. I don't use small noodles and my soup contains nice chunky pieces of chicken.

I had read about the noodle count before and as a kid I slurped many a noodle from many a can of Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup.

But the burning question is how much chicken is in a can of chicken noodle soup? It turns out that if you were to find all the pieces of chicken in one 10 ounce can you would have about one ounce. If you ever paid attention you noticed that there were some really small pieces of chicken, almost microscopic, floating among all those noodles.

Having worked in the food industry and inspected one of the largest Campbell's plant I learned a few things. The average weight of the chickens used for the soup, most of which Campbell's raises themselves, is 3 pounds. After plucking, gutting and deboning there is about 2 pounds (32 ounces) of meat left. So the average chicken ends up supplying 32 cans with their chicken.

I make my own chicken noodle and chicken and rice soups these days. I don't use small noodles and my soup contains nice chunky pieces of chicken.
That about confirms my suspicions... I've told my wife on numerous occasions, Campbell's uses one chicken for 40 gallons of soup....

Not a major fan of chicken noodle soup though,prefer the tomato.... one can of soup, half a can of water, half a can of whole milk or half & half... a dash of salt and a splash of Worcester sauce... heated to almost scalding temp and eaten with Ritz crackers.

BTW Don, didn't your mother tell you not to play with your food? :D:D:cool: