Wiss Shears

glenn bradley

Not really Neander but a hand tool none the less. Just sharing for the fun of it. I love it when a hand-me-down tool comes with a story. I was using these today and realized my uncle had given them to me 50 years ago.
Willis Shears.jpg
He ended his career designing and making prototypes for jet fighter seats. These hung from his belt for cutting leather and naugahyde. He also entered a seat design for Disneyland's Monorail but, didn't make the cut . . . pun intended. I have used these for decades. They currently hang just inside one of the swing-out doors of my wall mounted tool cabinet.

Classics, those are really hard to beat quality wise.

I have a soft spot for good scissors and shears and tend to accumulate them at estate sales. I've gotten to the "slightly better than mediocre" at sharpening and rehabbing them.

A good pair of scissors/shears is as necessary as a good pocket knife, if you ask me. They're especially cool if they come with a good story. And as Ryan said, Wiss is a classic brand. :thumb:

I, too, have an old pair. They were in my dad's wall papering kit. I shall have to look at the branding, sometime.
They are quality.

My Mom or Dad had a pair of those, I remember them.... They were great scissors. I think my Mom had a pair also in her sewing tools the cut a zic-zag pattern for cutting material...Not sure what the zig-zag was for. Seams like somewhere the z-z helped keep the edge from fraying??

My Mom or Dad had a pair of those, I remember them.... They were great scissors. I think my Mom had a pair also in her sewing tools the cut a zic-zag pattern for cutting material...Not sure what the zig-zag was for. Seams like somewhere the z-z helped keep the edge from fraying??
Yep, the zigzag cut helps resist fraying. Any well-equipped seamstress/tailor (like your mom or mine were) has a pair of pinking shears.

Ya, pinking shears, thanks, I could not remember the name. I just for fun searched Wiss shears... still available... come in different lengths, and available, of all places Home Depot..