FISHERMAN

Leo Voisine

This is just a preview. I have had this Oak Cookie sitting around for a lot of years. I milled off the top and bottom and sanded it down real pretty.

After cutting it down on both top and bottom I measure 7-8 % moisture. Nice and stable.

I decided that there is a Fisherman living in there and he needs to be shown,

IMG_1098.JPG

Fisherman prview.jpg

Just a FUN project in between all the other stuff.

Not sure yet how I will be finishing it off. Got some ideas. I will know as I watch this progress. Glazes? Colored epoxy fill? I just don't know yet. This may be a Saturday or Sunday project.

Well, so far, I have faced both top and bottom.

Because it is such an organic shape I have it clamped onto the machine and I will NOT move it.

I am using West Systems epoxy to fill all the tiny cracks and the bark "end grain" on the top surface.

My next move is to resurface the top and check for any further cracks or checks.
I will do this step over until there is nothing left to fill.
Then I will sand it nice and smooth

Scott - I make the pic and put it in the Materials - Wood - folder in Application
You can access it from Vectric, file drop down menu.

I watch Blacktail Studio on youtube. The guy does a lot of epoxy stuff on some REALLY EXPENSIVE things he makes.

He is VERY detailed in how he fills in EVERY STINKIN check, crack, hole, void before he finishes off his workpiece.
Taking his lead I have done the same thing.
This is layer 4. I filled this top side 3 times, bottom side once, but I will finish that side with more fills as well.
This is currently clamped in the machine and will not be moved for any reason till I get to a certain point.
I will mill the top to JUST scratch the top surface of the wood. Maybe by .001 - ,002
I do not want to completely remove the epoxy.
I will need to ROS 60 grit down to 180 grit before I start to cut the fisherman into the cookie.

Thumb.jpg

west.jpg

OK - I did a little more to the fisherman

Pocket-1.jpg
I faced off the top to just scratching the top of the wood.
I sanded 60 - 120 - 150 - 180 - 320
I shot a few coats of Lacquer - turned a little cloudy - high humidity today

I then cut the pocket to within .125 of full depth.
Depth is .850 - it will finish at 1.00 inches deep
I will cut the pocket again a bit later in the process

Pocket-2.jpg

I rough cut the Fisherman

Pocket-3.jpg

I then finish cut the fisherman

Pocket-4.jpg

Not a real good picture but there are a lot of fuzzies that need to be cleaned up.
I will get a better pic later.

I will use a dremel tool, chisel, sandpaper xacto knife to finish it up and pull out more detail.

OK, I haven't updated this, but I have made progress with it.

Warning - this video is almost an hour long.
It is more of a video to help a friend to understand very basic operation on how to use Mach3, CNC, and Vectric.
It is also part of making the fisherman plaque.

The plaque it almost finished and I will post more progress within the next few days.

way cool leo! is this for someone, or a business? i have a pic of a plaque entitled, the fisherman, taken while we were bumming around antique stores. i worked it up for the cnc, and it turned out pretty good. if you want, i can send you the file for it.
IMG_20210822_160103927 (2).jpgIMG_20210908_131528856 (1).jpg

It is more of a video to help a friend to understand very basic operation on how to use Mach3, CNC, and Vectric.

That was a fun video, thanks for taking the time time to put it together.

Kind of a side question, I was thinking about your comment on the dirty keyboard and the shop environment and remembered seeing membrane keyboards at medical offices that are smooth top, wipe clean. I've never used one so I'm not sure how nice (or not...) they are to use but they seem like a decent idea for a shop keyboard so was kind of wondering if anyone had actually used one (they are a fair bit more $$ though.. so probably cheaper to just burn through several "regular" keyboards hah).