Stain matching advice

Peter Rideout

image.jpg
Hello Everyone
My wife fell heir to some nice old furniture recently and has started some stripping and refinishing. What you see here are two of the feet from a pedestal dining table, probably white oak, which she has stripped and sanded to 220
She removed some rickety old casters and had me fashion some blocks to bring the table up to proper height. The blocks are probably red oak.
Any suggestions you have on ultimately matching new wood to old would be appreciated.

Happy Fourth, southern friends! I hope you’re well into a relaxing weekend with family and friends, celebrating the loss of our American colonies😀

Honestly... I'd look for a better wood & grain match. The replacement blocks definitely don't match the original wood in texture (OG was closer to quarter sawn) or color very well. You could dye / stain it to match pretty close color wise but it'll still stand out some and will age pretty differently. Redder red oak :D

hey Peter thanks for the well wishes. This to me is a prime example where dye would be my choice. with a dye you can start out lighter and then keep adding a drop or two of the dye at a time until it matches. sorta sneak up on it like we did to the red coats.
Don, you have just woven some great advice into an excellent comeback!
Thank you, sir. Enjoy the weekend👍

Honestly... I'd look for a better wood & grain match. The replacement blocks definitely don't match the original wood in texture (OG was closer to quarter sawn) or color very well. You could dye / stain it to match pretty close color wise but it'll still stand out some and will age pretty differently. Redder red oak :D
I agree about the matching Ryan, thank you. What we’re after here is “close”, reasonable matching, down under a table in dim light😀. If some future guest gets truly “under the table” they likely won’t be in shape to criticize the refinishing.

I agree about the matching Ryan, thank you. What we’re after here is “close”, reasonable matching, down under a table in dim light😀. If some future guest gets truly “under the table” they likely won’t be in shape to criticize the refinishing.

Hah, fair enough. I was more thinking it would be less effort to accomplish your goals with that approach instead of stain. Partially that's my approach because I'm very not good with stains :D

View attachment 121247
Hello Everyone
My wife fell heir to some nice old furniture recently and has started some stripping and refinishing. What you see here are two of the feet from a pedestal dining table, probably white oak, which she has stripped and sanded to 220
She removed some rickety old casters and had me fashion some blocks to bring the table up to proper height. The blocks are probably red oak.
Any suggestions you have on ultimately matching new wood to old would be appreciated.

Happy Fourth, southern friends! I hope you’re well into a relaxing weekend with family and friends, celebrating the loss of our American colonies😀
Sorry didn't see this Peter. Little black and a bit of green stain will get you there. But just a touch to dirty the vehicle. Test.