Performax 16-32 sandpaper

Leo Voisine

I had a very large supply of sandpaper for my drum sander, but I am almost out of usable strips

I need to buy something????

But What?

What do you all do?

Cut your own strips - buy it precut

Where do you get your supplies?
Are there any qty price breaks?

My inquiring mind wants to know.

I've always cut my own after the first pack I used. I kept on the old worn out strips for a pattern (the tapered part) and while it isn't hugely cheaper I still prefer doing that. I did this for my old Delta (now departed) and do it now for the Supermax replacement. I usually get my bulk rolls from Klingspor. I should point out I don't use a lot of different grits, pretty much sticking to 120.

I've always cut my own after the first pack I used. I kept on the old worn out strips for a pattern (the tapered part) and while it isn't hugely cheaper I still prefer doing that. I did this for my old Delta (now departed) and do it now for the Supermax replacement. I usually get my bulk rolls from Klingspor. I should point out I don't use a lot of different grits, pretty much sticking to 120.
That's what I do, too. I prefer the alumina-zirconia stuff. It lasts a lot longer than the others. I also use mainly 120 grit.

I cut my strips from roll material. I made a pattern from 1/4" plywood for the ends, measure the length I need from the roll and slice it with a utility knife.

Leo, this was just posted on the scroll saw forum iI belong to, He figures shipping may be $16 or there about. I you would be interested maybe we can figure away you two can get in touch with each other.. He live in Texas.

"I have a new box which consists of 4 80 grit and 4 120 grit precut sandpaper for a 16" drum sander. If you can use them I will take $25 including shipping"

I am pretty analytical about this stuff so the spreadsheet is open

Looking at the Klingspor website I am comparing prices.
I calculated how much paper based on Width and Length of my current sander with precut at 91 inches long and 3 inches wide.
The Klingspor price for 2 precut strips is 27.95 or 13.97 each strip

If I get the 18MT x 4" roll is makes 10 strips which is about 4.90 per strip

Not really sure how the different width or angle cut works out yet, though I know it will be different.
I may just need to get a roll and try it.

I will do the alumina zirconia paper - thanks for the tip. I also like the Plywood template tip.

Leo, this was just posted on the scroll saw forum iI belong to, He figures shipping may be $16 or there about. I you would be interested maybe we can figure away you two can get in touch with each other.. He live in Texas.

"I have a new box which consists of 4 80 grit and 4 120 grit precut sandpaper for a 16" drum sander. If you can use them I will take $25 including shipping"
OOPPpS

Paul - YES, I will do that

The alumina zirconia 3" x 18 MT works out to $7.28 per strip which is about 1/2 the cost of precut Aluminum Oxide. Also same width

Glad I posted the question - Great advice - Thank you.

I will order the roll at the end of the month

Paul, I will still take the bargain deal.

Next time i need to redo my sander I think i’ll try Mirka Abranet. I know it has a hook and loop backing, but not sure if it makes any difference rolled on a drum and secured at both ends.

The alumina zirconia 3" x 18 MT works out to $7.28 per strip which is about 1/2 the cost of precut Aluminum Oxide. Also same width

Glad I posted the question - Great advice - Thank you.

I will order the roll at the end of the month

Paul, I will still take the bargain deal.
I sent him the address you gave me, He said he will email you.

Wait..., the 16-32 uses 4" wide paper?

I don't think it should matter should it? as long as it's long enough with the right taper.. either 3" or 4" ought to work.

Most (all?) of the sold-for is 3" wide but I'm not seeing a reason 4" shouldn't work, you just need fewer wraps - aka a shorter strip (and would have fewer overlaps as well). Makes it a smidge harder to get the "first piece" right but after that.. I think it ought to work .. looking at the clamping mechanism on mine anyway.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually tried wider strips..