OLD EYES and FONTS

All covered Jim

I have been there - all current

My issue with fonts on the computer is mostly because I keep trying to adjust the font sizes and I have it all screwed up.

Windows, PC, all the apps do not work well with fonts if you try to adjust fonts and sizes.
I think most people do not mess with it so much.

I am going to reformat the hard drive and reinstall win10 and leave the fonts alone.

As I said originally sone apps are about 5 or 6 sized and some stuff is 20 or so.
There is no way to get all the stuff to play well together.

I can see just fine - that is not an issue.

I share your pain on the lack of continuity across platforms and applications. Especially those that are designed to work well with each other (but only in the ways that are important to whoever is writing that part of the effort). I generalize and blame the current generation of software writers (and the one before them if I'm honest) but that is not fair. It's just easier to rant when you demonize by category. In my career every bad networking decision immediately follows minutes, hours, days, or weeks of a network engineer explaining exactly why you shouldn't do that; I'm sure many (OK, maybe some) application programmers experience the same thing :D

Glenn - you got it.

I have trouble placing blame on the programmers.

Expectations from the upper echilon - combinations of scenerios - many font styles so many point sizes. There must be millions of combinations. To test all of them to be sure they work must be an impossible task.

At this point - I just KNOW - it is NOT possible to make any changes - aside from maybe ONE across the board magnification.

I have made so many changes now that I cannot restore what was.

I'm sure many (OK, maybe some) application programmers experience the same thing :D

All.. All application engineers experience this. Except perhaps the ones making the mistake.

To Leo's point consistency is really only possible in a walled garden and that has it's own set of problems... So yeah it's all a series of tradeoffs.

See also Chestertons Fence

All.. All application engineers experience this. Except perhaps the ones making the mistake.
I always need to double check my sense of humor. I was just poking at the app engineers. Old habit left over from various jobs. All in fun ;-) I would offer that designers and engineers of all sorts fight these same battles.

computers were a great invention and have served mankind well, but I still hark back to a statement I read.... Art Buckholtz once said "computers makes easier to do a lot of things, but a lot of the things computer makes it easier to do, don't need to be done."

Back when TWA first went computerized we had an agent that had been with TWA for 30 years.... he was working in inbound one day when a customer asked him to locate a particular shipment... we had only been computerized about 3 or 4 weeks and being early in computerization, we often had down time, especially since all our servers were in Kansas City, MO.... the agent told the customer he couldn't locate his shipment because the computer was down. The customer asked, "what did you do before you had computers?" ..Floyd replied, I don't know, I've forgotten.

I always need to double check my sense of humor. I was just poking at the app engineers. Old habit left over from various jobs. All in fun ;-) I would offer that designers and engineers of all sorts fight these same battles.

To Leo's point consistency is really only possible in a walled garden and that has it's own set of problems... So yeah it's all a series of tradeoffs.

See also Chestertons Fence
I blame managment and especially project managers. {Ducking as the project managers flood in to take my head off}

I blame managment and especially project managers. {Ducking as the project managers flood in to take my head off}
We are of a like mind ;-) In nearly 40 years I worked with exactly two PM's that were actually good at their job. It takes a certain sort of person to sit across from an executive and tell them "Stan, if your guys don't hit their date this thing will tank and it will be on you" and have the data and wherewithal to back it up.

I've worked with a handful of excellent PM's and a somewhat larger handful that we simply won't discuss given the code of conduct...

I do have some sympathy with them though as Glenn notes. They're frequently in a rather difficult position between reality and executive expectations (and vice versa..). I had to do some vaguely PM ish work to for some of the art projects I was helping with and yeah.. yikes...

I was never a computer programmer, but I programmed a ton of CNC machines in the factory.

Every time there was a problem on the shop floor beit CNC or any other thing I would be in the managers office.

WHY did that happen? Slam fish on desk
WHAT are you doing to make sure it NEVER happens again? Slams fist on desk
WHEN is that going to be finished? Slams....................
WHY is it taking so long? Sl................................................

I am soooooooooooooooo glad to be retired!!!!!!!

I loved doing what I was doing
I HATED the politics.

I've only known a couple of project managers who could build anything. I've knows a lot more who only knew how to try to look important during scrum meetings while having no idea what the team was talking about.
...WHY did that happen? Slam fish on desk
And the old classic:

"How long will it take?"
"If we work 16 hour days we can get it done in a month."
"OK, I need it in two weeks."
:bang::bang::bang:

I've worked on projects where management made promises without consulting the developers.

Then they ask for an 'effort estimate' where the effort estimate is based on a reasonable number of developers and the tasks order with a certain critical path.

Management would not like the timing and would assume they could cut the time in half by doubling developers, which never really works out the way you think.

Using their logic, you could take 9 women and make baby in one month.

Management would not like the timing and would assume they could cut the time in half by doubling developers, which never really works out the way you think.

• Communication overhead increases as the number of people increases. Due to combinatorial explosion, the number of different communication channels increases rapidly with the number of people.[3] Everyone working on the same task needs to keep in sync, so as more people are added they spend more time trying to find out what everyone else is doing.

I was never a computer programmer, but I programmed a ton of CNC machines in the factory.

Every time there was a problem on the shop floor beit CNC or any other thing I would be in the managers office.

WHY did that happen? Slam fish on desk

I am soooooooooooooooo glad to be retired!!!!!!!

I loved doing what I was doing
I HATED the politics.
I would have been really concerned when he slammed that fish on the desk :rofl: