Chainsaw chain locker

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I’m getting quite a collection of chainsaw chains and have been looking for a good way to store/take them with me when I go out cutting firewood.

There is a plastic box on Amazon called Chain locker, but it seems overpriced for what it is. I also shopped the plastic hardware and food storage areas for options, but nothing really was what I had I mind.

Since I have the cnc going, I drew up a proto type, based on the chain locker. And milled one out. I ended up getting a couple of the curves wrong and must have mis measured the length of my smaller pole saw chain.
4EB767A4-D8C1-4740-A20F-F39D0F0A83C2.jpeg

I went back to the drawing board, even got some help from my design consultant.
1EF364A0-DC1D-4545-BA52-613839B2A705.jpeg

Version 2 came out a little better, but was unable to get the smaller chain out without a screwdriver.
D5E40C6D-304A-41FB-A8C4-D7F9CF2A034D.jpeg

So I added a small pocket in the middle, which helped a lot.
86727030-63D1-4B20-AF5A-06277D5799B7.jpeg

This one does work better, but the two smaller chain pockets could stand to be 1/2” or so longer. The 3/4” thick top is a bit thick, so may try some 1/2” ply.
B13596DC-DC91-48AC-BFB3-F67CAB6CE7BF.jpeg

I’ll probably seal both with BLO. I’ll probably use a small piano hinge, but need to look at latches. A future version will be deeper pockets, maybe dual sided for sharp vs dull, or maybe some pockets for files and such.

You are a lot more fussy than I am. I just tossed my chains into the plastic tool (tackle?) box I took with when I was using my chain saw. Harbor Freight has a lot of interesting tool boxes and bags at reasonable prices.

You are a lot more fussy than I am. I just tossed my chains into the plastic tool (tackle?) box I took with when I was using my chain saw. Harbor Freight has a lot of interesting tool boxes and bags at reasonable prices.
It could be that my OCD kicked in. :D

I wanted to do something on the cnc though. I've got a few other versions/ideas I'll post when I get to them. The big box I have on my carry-all has the fuel, bar oil, wrenches, files, extra chains, paint, some herbicide (for locust trees), straps, and several other things. For the most part it works fine, but when I need chains, tools, files; I'm pulling all those other things out to find them. A tackle/tool box just takes up too much room for the contents, so working on slimming that down

Now that is a cool idea. Not practical for me as I have 6 chainsaws, different bar lengths. I really like the idea though as I had not a clue when I started reading your post what a chainsaw locker was. Great execution, burn your brand or name on it to make it permanent (like anyone else has one!)

Now that is a cool idea. Not practical for me as I have 6 chainsaws, different bar lengths. I really like the idea though as I had not a clue when I started reading your post what a chainsaw locker was. Great execution, burn your brand or name on it to make it permanent (like anyone else has one!)
Yeah, I currently have 3 different chainsaws of different sizes, the chains for all fit in this box, but will be making separate ones for each too, so that maybe I can keep a file or two in there and perhaps the wrench. I tend to hang the dull chains on one of the hooks of the carry-all so I don't try to put one back on, so doubt I do the doubled sided box I mentioned above with sharp vs. dull.

I made a carrier (I cannot call it a box) for my chains back in the days when I was heating with wood. It was not a box but just two pieces of 3/4" plywood and a couple of dowels.
The dowels were glued into shallow Forster bit holes on one piece of plywood and spaced so that my chains would fit around the two sticks with a little slack. The dowels were reinforced with a screw through the plywood. The second piece of plywood had holes that were enlarged by sanding a little so that they would slide over the dowels. The second piece of plywood was held in place with a couple of large rubber bands. As I recall I had a total of five chains for my saw and when I was cutting wood I carried the chain carrier and my saw box to wherever I was sawing.

Not very pretty but it kept the chains safe when not in use and kept me safe when I was reaching for something in my saw box. For somebody who liked to make boxes I sure didn't waste any effort on something to store my chains.