Tool Base from Free Material

glenn bradley

I sold a bunch of dad's turning stuff (still have some to go). I gathered enough to make me finally buy a combo sander that I have been after for about 15 years. It's funny; I wouldn't pay the price back when it was about half of what it is now. I view it as a gift from dad.

At any rate with the current prices of new material and the down right unavailability of some others I sat down to percolate. I still have a fair amount of the free material I got from a guy who runs a cabinet shop; it was rain damaged. I decided to see if I could come up with a design that would use the sizes of material I had available. I didn't start taking pictures right away because the thing is going to be butt-ugly. At some point I thought I might as well share the journey. I'm sure I'm not the only dumpster diver out there.

You can see the damage to the material but, there is a lot of usable stuff left. The pro shop just couldn't make a financial argument for trimming all the waste off in an attempt to get usable pieces. Hooray for me.
G1276 (1).jpg
G1276 (2).jpg
G1276 (3).jpg
My plan was to use large rabbets to house the thin stock and internal reinfocement for structural rigidity. The sander weighs about 145 lbs and will be mobile.
G1276 (4).jpg
Here's the side panels, one shellacked, one not.
G1276 (5).jpg
Yesterdays spoil becomes today's dominoes.
G1276 (6).jpg
cont'd . . .

Last edited:
I test the basic case work for size and fit.
G1276 (7).jpg
I'm using dominoes for strength and pocket holes so I can keep moving along.
G1276 (8).jpg
A clamp porcupine.
G1276 (9).jpg
Here's the mobile base I will use and the position the sander will occupy.
G1276 (10).jpg
I don't do a lot of pocket holing but I did find that an Auto-clamp gripped in a vise makes a quasi-pocket station.
G1276 (11).jpg
I'm bushed. Tomorrow I will knoick out some drawers and put a back in it.
G1276 (12).jpg
Then I will wait till my gigantic son-in-law can come by and help me move the machine on to the base.

I realize now that the title should have been "mostly free stuff". I picked up the base a few years ago before building the new shop. The "all terrain" style base made it easy to move grandpa's old contractor saw
Granpas-saw-done-9.jpg
in and out of the garage for use. I did get the drawer glides from dad's inventory so I guess those are still technically free. I will try to scrounge the scrap bin for drawer fronts like some other fixtures from the past
TS-Outfeed (38).jpg . tablesaw drawers.jpg
although that would be like putting lipstick on a pig. If I can't find enough "pretty" scrap I will use more of the free cabinet shop stock.

Looking good! Very economical on the construction techniques as well.

tablesaw drawers.jpg

Is that a DRO rail there?

Yes. The DRO on the tablesaw has become integral to how I work. This is the third saw I have had it on. Repeatable measurements and incremental offsets really make the tablesaw a joinery machine.
I love my expsuliy
Yes. The DRO on the tablesaw has become integral to how I work. This is the third saw I have had it on. Repeatable measurements and incremental offsets really make the tablesaw a joinery machine.
I love mine especially when cutting organ pipe parts, some of the pipes are only .5mm different. Also when making templates for cutting frets on guitar necks

I make some drawer box parts out of the water damaged stock.
G1276 (14).jpg
Groove them for drawer bottoms.
G1276 (15).jpg
I am just pocket holing the drawer boxes.
G1276 (16).jpg
A piece of scrap makes sure things align.
G1276 (17).jpg
Rinse and repeat.
G1276 (18).jpg
Four drawers will do it.
G1276 (19).jpg
I have seen the scrap stock as spacer method for setting drawer hight for many years. Thought I'd give it a try. Works well.
G1276 (20).jpg
Drawer boxes in.
G1276 (21).jpg
And drawer fronts on.
G1276 (22).jpg
Now I just have to wait for my SIL to stop by after work to put this beast on top of it.
G1276 (23).jpg

Last edited:
Late to the party on this one. As always, both exemplary and inspiring. Makes me wish I had a bit more time to devote to shop storage projects.