Sideboard for the Dining Room

Love the depth of detail you share 😊
Thanks Tom. I sometimes feel like I am pushing way too much info for a given build. I am not trying to bore folks to death but hope that some folks who are newer to the craft may get some good out of things and not have to go thorough he same painful mistakes I have made :). I know I sure appreciated the threads by folks back in the day . . . we all start somewhere, right?

That being said here's the small pullouts after a first finish application.
Sideboard (240).jpg
I hope to get to the top and backsplash this evening . . . we'll see.

Thanks Tom. I sometimes feel like I am pushing way too much info for a given build. I am not trying to bore folks to death but hope that some folks who are newer to the craft may get some good out of things and not have to go thorough he same painful mistakes I have made :). I know I sure appreciated the threads by folks back in the day . . . we all start somewhere, right?...
Don't ever worry about posting too much detail. We never know who's going to be helped by one of those bits of details somewhere down the road. :thumb:

My efforts this morning put a second coat on some items and a first coat on the balance. Finishing will take up the rest of the day. When I reach the finishing stage I tend to just relax and go with it. There is no hurrying some things and attempts to do so generally make you sad:D:D:D

Sideboard (241).jpg

Sideboard (242).jpg

Sideboard (243).jpg
The flash went off on the last pic so the colors and the chatoyance look a bit weird. I will post more pics as I close in on the end of this effort so you can get a better idea of how things look.

Not a lot to report. Just moving through the finishing process. This morning I sanded with 800 any areas that required it. I also have some finer non-woven stuff that I use here and there.
Sideboard (250).jpg
Sideboard (251).jpg
The top has a coat or two to go.
Sideboard (254).jpg
The main carcass is pretty much done and I am feeling happy with the coloring.
Sideboard (252).jpg
More coats for some parts tomorrow morning.

Wax on . . .
Sideboard (257).jpg
Wax off . . .
Sideboard (258).jpg
Here's the "pull" for the pullouts.
Sideboard (259).jpg
The shop lighting is not ideal but this will give you some idea of the design and the elevations.
Sideboard (261).jpg
Sideboard (262).jpg
Sideboard (263).jpg
Sideboard (264).jpg
The pullouts are pretty utilitarian (and will probably only come out at Christmas and Thanksgiving) so I didn't mind the hardware showing.
Sideboard (265).jpg
The coloration variance is not quite as extreme as it appears under my finely tuned photographic skill. You can see the actual coloration in previous pics.
Sideboard (266).jpg
I will get some pics in place in a couple of days. The paste wax is still off-gassing.

Last edited:
Aside from the excellence of execution and design...

I'm slightly intrigued by the choice of all drawers and no shelves.
Thanks all. LOML has motion issues from an accident in her youth. Stooping and reaching in are not her strong suit today and will only get less fun :D. This is why I strayed from the more common 'doors and drawers' setup for a buffet or sideboard. I try to build her full extension drawers or pullouts for anything I make. This sometimes leads to a compromise in aesthetics but I try to work around it :)