Recent content by Aaron Beaver

1. Aaron Beaver

Multiple side by side boards question

Also, my shop is not heated, so I was going to assemble what I could this winter and then finish it when the weather warmed up to something finishes like better. If I have to pre finish then might have to put the whole thing on hold.
  2. Aaron Beaver

This is all walnut and only doing some type of top coat (undecided right now) so thought maybe I could get away with it more but wasn’t sure.
  3. Aaron Beaver

Should I sand and apply finish to all these pieces prior to assembly?
  4. Aaron Beaver

Okay, I think I finally see the concept now if I put a groove in the rail. I can groove the rail, then besides making the lap joint on the vertical, I would also need to rabbit the top and bottom to fit into the groove as I have shown here. Then I could either pin the boards, or use spacer...
  5. Aaron Beaver

The issue is I wasn’t going to cut a groove in my rails to insert the verticals, planned on cutting them to length (distance between the top and bottom rails) and attaching with the domino, so I don’t think there is anyway to nail (pin) it, that I can see. Again I could just be missing it...
  6. Aaron Beaver

You’ll have to excuse my inexperience but how would you pin these? I was cutting them to length to fit between the rails and use small dominoes to attach them to the rails. I probably just don’t know what pinning is so not sure how it’s done in this situation.
  7. Aaron Beaver

I am going to use my Domino to attach each vertical to the rail, I would think that would keep them from rattling? Then the lap joints would just float/slide past each other for expansion.
  8. Aaron Beaver

You know that bed I am making which has a lot of small boards side by side. How would you make those to allow for expansion, would you do a lap joint like what I have shown or something else?
  9. Aaron Beaver

Footboard/Headboard wood arrangement

On the first picture I think I’m going to swap one of the wider stripes to the other side so that each side has a narrow and wide stripe.
  10. Aaron Beaver

Footboard/Headboard wood arrangement

I am building a bed out of walnut and I know some are very opposed to using walnut sapwood in a walnut project, but if you don't mind sapwood, what do you think of this mock up that I did for the footboard and headboard?
  11. Aaron Beaver

Raised Panels for a bed

I will be making the bed in the attached picture at some point, right now I am just trying to figure everything out and get things ready. One question I have for the group is: How would you do the panels? What bits would you use, what shape/profile would look good for the panels? I have never...
  12. Aaron Beaver

Footboard Top rail

I did some measuring of the part and the fat end is only 1 1/2" thick so it looks like I could run a 3/4" radius round over bit through the router table and get really close that way. Then do the cove thing, might not be as bad as I thought. There will be some cleanup between the transition of...
  13. Aaron Beaver

Footboard Top rail

hmm, sounds like I am going to have to save up for some hand planes, scrapers, spokeshaves. I have lots of power tools but haven't got many hand tools, just haven't needed them for what I have ever made thus far. Might be more expensive getting what I need than I thought. better pic of the...
  14. Aaron Beaver

Footboard Top rail

Just getting a head start on this issue. I am going to build a bed for my daughter and this is what the top rail for the foot board needs to look like. It's a full sized bed, so 5 feet long or so. How would you make this piece? It's 3/4" thick at the bottom, maybe 1.5" thick at the thickest...
  15. Aaron Beaver

Wipe On Poly is streaking

I am trying to finish up a bed and I am putting the poly on the side rails, bed was originally a toddler bed and now be converted to a full size. I am using Watco Wipe On Poly which I have used in the past and have never had an issue with it. I used this same stuff when it was a toddler bed...