Recent content by Al Navas

1. Al Navas

New Leigh hold-down clamps: Workholding made easy

From my blog: Christopher Schwarz made a terrific presentation at the Berea Hand Tool Conference in November: Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding. During his presentation Chris covered workholding. As a result of this presentation, I started doing some serious thinking about my European...
  2. Al Navas

WIA: Part 1 of 3 - Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding

From my blog: A short note: WIA - Woodworking in America, in case you are not familiar with this new acronym. Over the years, Christopher Schwarz has built many benches - from the Roman style door-and-saw horse, to much-improved models based on old references. And he has published a book that...
  3. Al Navas

The Schwarz dances

From my blog: A link to a very short video For your viewing pleasure: A very short video. I extracted some of Christopher Schwarz's best moves during his session on Forgotten Workbenches and Workholding - Woodworking in America, in Berea. And it ain't no tango! Enjoy! Al View videos from...
  4. Al Navas

An Intro to the Leigh FMT

I want to share with you my latest: I have created a short video, An Intro to the Leigh FMT , the famous Frame Mortise & Tenon jig. You can view the video and download it at my blog. And, while you are there, enjoy the new look-and-feel! .
  5. Al Navas

Look at your workbenches!

I want to share the following with you, because it happened to me. I heat the shop during Winter, using a forced air system. This creates a very dry heat that could result in bench tops not being as flat as we might need them. The following photos illustrate the current status of my workbench...
  6. Al Navas

The 2008 Kansas City Woodworking Show-Friends, reflections, sights & sounds

I invite you to visit my blog to view the video I made while at the 2008 Kansas City Woodworking Show. This is a rare opportunity we have to meet some members of WoodNet amd SMC in video format. A bunch of WoodNet and SMC members attended a breakfast ahead of the Show's opening time. You get a...
  7. Al Navas

A bread box - design and "build"

I love the design stage of a project, whether it is done on a napkin, in a design book, computer program, anything to get it done. As a result, I am interested in your feedback on this bread box I designed and built. A little teaser - this is the box, on our harvest table and before delivery...
  8. Al Navas

Inlaid dovetails - Part 3, The Finale

I posted on my blog the last episode this morning. I hope you know where to find it :thumb:. Thanks for looking! .
  9. Al Navas

Inlaid dovetails - made a video tutorial, NOT photo tutorial

Some of you will remember the boxes that I submitted to a Silent Auction at our daughter's church. They did very well at the auction, as the bids were nice and generous. The following is a photo of the two, just before I applied Waterlox as the finish: A few people have been interested in a...
  10. Al Navas

A little box with inlaid dovetails

I have been making this little box for a silent auction at a local church in which our daughter is a member. I have never entered anything in a silent auction; I still have to finish sanding, apply Waterlox original, hand-rubbed to a satin finish: You can view the rest of the story at my...
  11. Al Navas

I think this is flatwork - but, WHAT IS IT?

My wife Sandy will be demonstrating at our next Guild meeting how to make something like this - and it is NOT just a lump of wood :D :D : A second image gives the answer, but you must find it... Thanks for looking! ------- Al
  12. Al Navas

Tool sharpening station almost finished

I need to spray the finish coat on the adjustable shelf, and I will finish this cabinet. Here is the concept sketch, done in eCabinet Systems software and rendered as a *.jpg: It will become a new tool sharpening station for lathe chisels and gouges, regular chisels, and hand plane blades...
  13. Al Navas

Now that I have recent photos, our shop

It has been quite a while since I posted any recent photos of our shop. I have been busy making saw dust, so it was a good time to shoot some pix, before picking up all the clutter. This will be a short one, as I must get busy and update the blog with some stuff ( http://blog.sandal-woods.com/...
  14. Al Navas

I hope this is general enough-spray booth in the shop

Hi, folks! Yesterday I updated the blog, and want to share the latest with you: http://blog.sandal-woods.com/ . I hope this can stay in the General section, as many people don't usually check the finishing area. The update shows some details of construction of the spray booth we have in the...
  15. Al Navas

My new blog

The blog can be found at http://blog.sandal-woods.com/ . I don't want to compete with Marc (The Wood Whisperer), that's for sure! But I do want to share "stuff" on a more regular basis than I did with my web site. Please, feel free to leave comments and suggestions about content. Thanks...