Recent content by Bill Satko

1. Bill Satko

Good Morning Friday 22nd

Because we have had a very mild winter with a much reduced snowpack in the mountains, the crews are starting work on opening up the North Cascade Pass this coming Monday. That is much earlier than most years. The road is gated at each end of this beautiful highway during the winter so that the...
  2. Bill Satko

Problem: Woodpeckers SS Woodworking Square

I wondered the same thing. Was it a one off or a batch problem? Human error or a robotic error? Not knowing their production process, we will never know. What I do know, there was a failure in two areas: the actual manufacture process and the quality inspections process. I was just happy to...
  3. Bill Satko

As I anticipated, I was contacted first thing Monday morning by Woodpeckers via email. They asked for some pictures showing what my problem was, which I sent. They promptly replied again and basically said, "yeah I see what you mean". They are sending me another and a prepaid label for me to...
  4. Bill Satko

I have a few Woodpecker tools: router table and lift, T-square and a large aluminum square. Almost all of these were bought some time ago when the pricing was not so egregious. Because I do so much hand work I have wanted one of their stainless steel square with the nice scribing notches. Over...
  5. Bill Satko

New Wooden Smoother, Kind of...

Yes, a sole patch like this: I have several old broken moulding planes I could us for wood.
  6. Bill Satko

Unfortunately some tools are lasting because they are never used. I subscribe to Patrick Leach's monthly tool list and have notice that within the last year or two, many Lie Neilson tools are now showing up on his list which have never been used and still are in their boxes. Seems there were...
  7. Bill Satko

I forgot to mention but I believe the bed angle is 45 degrees. This differs from my Voigt's traditional early English angle of 47.5 degrees.
  8. Bill Satko

Some time ago I was gifted with an old wooden smoother that had seen better days. I had helped some friends install a new hot water tank and they gave me their father's hand plane that had been sitting around unused for some time. He wasn't really a woodworker so I believe that he only picked...
  9. Bill Satko

Potter's Throwing Gauge

I made this throwing gauge based on pictures and rudimentary dimensions that I found on a London potter's website. I estimated most of the measurements based on the pictures and drew it up in SketchUp. I had designed the actual pointers to be composed of three 1/8" thick pieces (plywood) that...
  10. Bill Satko

02/23/24 Friday

Hopefully finishing up a clay/woodworking project this weekend that has been a tester. Because of a lack of access to the right tools, materials and clear thinking, I proceeded on the most difficult way to execute it. I think it will turn out well, I am just not sure about the price to my...
  11. Bill Satko

Accu-Burr

Your experience mirrors mine. It does make it easier. I would recommend it to anyone who has not already established the technique to freehand burnish their scrapers or wants to be more consistent in turning a burr angle. I will continue to use it.
  12. Bill Satko

Kudo's to Woodcraft

We live fairly remote. When we bought our place, it never had a mailbox at the street as it was a second home for someone that lived in Seattle. We decided to get a PO Box in town. Even though there does not appear to be any problem with mail theft and our road is just a rural road that ends...
  13. Bill Satko

And just like that

I watched both games in a combined 30 plus minutes. NFL has on YouTube game highlights. Great way to get a feel of how the game went without the commercials and the worthless commentary by the announcing team. My wife loved it. Both games were great. I was happy that both SF and the...
  14. Bill Satko

Going to the Woodworking Show in Indianapolis

I remember going when Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley attended. It was there that I purchased my first LN plane and started my move to hand tools. It was all very exciting back then but after a while, after the exhibitors I was most interested in declined to attend, it lost its luster and my interest.
  15. Bill Satko

Snow blower exhaust repair advise

I have had success with Helicoil inserts and would recommend that. That way you can use the same bolts.