Recent content by Carol Reed

1. Carol Reed

Another trailer gone!

I moved here with way too much rolling stock. Included were three cargo trailers. A couple of month ago I sold one 24 footer. This morning another one went down the road. I have a 16 foot cargo trailer which is spoken for and the small flat trailer with the tractor on it. Soon I'll be...
  2. Carol Reed

Starting with Security

Spent considerable time today researching security systems. First consideration was how many cameras and where to place them. Next was meet the requirements of the furtherest hardest to install camera. Decided on wireless to avoid running co-ax cable. Then there is power. Running AC is as...
  3. Carol Reed

New security system?

I may need to be gone from here for a few days. Thinking about a video remote security system. I have an iPhone. Suggestions?
  4. Carol Reed

A Huge Thanks

Kudos to Don Baer, his granddaughter and her friend for emptying the trailers into the new shop. Lots of organization needed but now I can sell the trailers and truck. More downsizing as I try to make passing less hassle for those left behind. And there is still a little room in there! Amazing.
  5. Carol Reed

Home from the hospital

Dodged the bullet once again - but those days are numbered. Acute respiratory failure as the result of total renal failure. The long and short of it is that the toxins are building in my body. That will kill me. All my final plan are almost in order. My thanks to Don Baer for ferrying my...
  6. Carol Reed

Sick

FYI. Nearly bought the farm. In hospital total kidney failure. Prognosis grim. Please do your prayers and thoughts thing. Thanks
  7. Carol Reed

New shop heating and cooling

So the sheathing is radiant barrier on the walls and roof. Low wall vents and full ridge vent. So far passive cooling. It is cooler in there but I haven't put thermometers in to check how much. That said, this is not high on my priority list but it does have some impact on power requirements...
  8. Carol Reed

Yea! Shop rising from the sand

Done! Now working on the electrical permit. Hopefully next week but probably 2 weeks. Ain't it purdy?
  9. Carol Reed

Yea! Shop rising from the sand

It began today. Four guys arrived early this morning and a few hours later we have four walls standing. Tomorrow the roof, doors, and windows. Brutally hot out there but I stuck it out in a chair in the shade of the patio.
  10. Carol Reed

We have a date!

Tuff Shed construction will commence on June 17! I cannot wait.
  11. Carol Reed

Concrete!

Truck and pump at 5 AM. Loud, too. Hosed in from the end of the driveway. Five hours later. And I make it rain every couple of hours. Still needs saw cuts.
  12. Carol Reed

Electrical Estimate

Feel my pain. I need to replace my main panel to put an adequate sub-panel in the shop. Fortunately the service wire from the pedestal to the house is rated at 200 amps, verified by the electrical provider. The house has an old style 100 amp box. Need new style 200 amp box to meet code. The...
  13. Carol Reed

Progress on the pad

Well, you all know I have had my troubles with the first concrete guy. Here are some pictures of what he had done that I found very unsatisfactory. The plans call for a monolithic pour. The code requires 12" footing below natural grade with a 6" above grade pad. In addition, apron pads for...
  14. Carol Reed

Good electrical news!

Talked with the electrical utility. Service wire is rated for 200 amp service. My main panel is currently set up for 100 amp service so I can easily add a large sub-panel. SOMEthing had to go right.
  15. Carol Reed

New concrete contractor

Just met with the new guy. Was very enlightening. He is miffed that such incompetence is in the community and made me privy to all sorts of infractions I didn't even realize. Tomorrow an intensive photo shoot will happen. I will be documented up the wazoo. Getting loaded for bear.