Recent content by Chas Jones

1. Chas Jones

Nosy Neighbor Part 637

We've owned three properties over 60+ years and only had one individual that turned obnoxious during the last eighteen months of a 9 yr. tenure in the middle one, first community and current one could not be better, great friendship and always someone willing to lend a helping hand. Had a few...
  2. Chas Jones

A nice turning wood

Like the form and proportions, tight joints like those are not easy to achieve.
  3. Chas Jones

Is Stu (from Tokyo) still here?

Not Stu's, but these links may be of interest. These profile guides any Use Old UK forum thread. Some Gouge setting ideas ideas
  4. Chas Jones

Will this stop the cracking?

I can only suggest to seal ends, put in thick paper sacks, dry as slowly as possible. This is a little missive I wrote some years ago as a guide based on my experiences in the UK.
  5. Chas Jones

Friday 02FEB24

Thanks Vaughn, fortunately we are both reasonably active, other than the usual peripheral niggles that come with advanced anno-domini. Yes it's a a very agreeable place, comfortable aperitif and post meal coffee/cocktail lounge and excellent food with Silver Service throughout and prices that...
  6. Chas Jones

Friday 02FEB24

Morning outing to pick up meds from local docs, down the valley to pick up a bit of basic food shopping and mid day meal out at adjacent hostelry. Topped up car fuel tank and back home to wash the bulk of the local farm residue off the car ready for early morning start to Daughters tomorrow, (2...
  7. Chas Jones

Snow blower exhaust repair advise

Do you have a standard set of taps? And do you have enough material in the muffler flange to go up a size in fixing bolt. (3/8"?) If so how about just opening the 'stripped' hole up to the next thread size, should be close to tapping size for next size thread.
  8. Chas Jones

Sanding Internals of small projects

A tip I came across today by a member on a UK forum regarding sanding inside small pots etc. He uses a Tooth Brush with a slit in the end to hold a strip of Net Abrasive, ( Sianet, Abranet etc.) the bristles help to persuade the abrasive to follow any internal curves.
  9. Chas Jones

Live Edge Ash bowl

If you are using a cellulose sanding sealer in you finish routine then application of it to the localised area before applying Thin CA, this will reduce the risk of wicking of the CA
  10. Chas Jones

Live Edge Ash bowl

Thin CA Glue rules!! :) And Tom, if you ever have bits of bark letting go don't be afraid of doing a bit of creative reconstruction with the bits and dust from the shavings pile, judicious selection and a dab or two of wood dye and most folks won't see the join. Just blend any proud edges in...
  11. Chas Jones

Lace bobbins

I first saw cushion lace making in Bruge (Belgium) about 1952/3, at that time there were many women sat outside their cottage doors chatting to each other whilst, as you say, flicking bobbins about in gay abandon without any apparent concentration on the work piece. I guess when you have spent...
  12. Chas Jones

Lace bobbins

Bobbins are used in pairs so it may be an assistance to the Lace Maker to make up some matched pairs in slightly different designs to help identify which bobbin is paired with which. The holes in the bottom are often used to affix beads to help identify and add weight to keep the tension on...
  13. Chas Jones

Having a go at another vase

Do not take that final touch! I SAID: DO NOT TAK-----!!!! *****???###%%
  14. Chas Jones

By being lazy I was referring to the look of material to be removed, leaving it in very rough cut condition or not trimmed, See this PDF for example I agree on finish, a completed surface should be finished to the best of your ability, I don't subscribe to the often trotted out mantra by...
  15. Chas Jones

Thanks for the comments, afraid the web site is very dated these days, it was started in the days before mobile devices were the norm and coding does not cater for differing display formats. I'm too old now and getting to the end of my journey to have the drive to recode it all or transfer it to...