Recent content by Dan Thibert

1. Dan Thibert

How much to charge for canle pedistals

I made these candle pedistals for a priest friend of my son who heard I was into woodworking. He absolutely loves them but I do not know how much to charge. They took me quite a long time to create, the smaller boxes being made of laminated strips of Oak, the larger ones one piece. The wood cost...
  2. Dan Thibert

Suggested Router?

I have a Skill Router that tends to not keep its height adustment while I am using it in the router table. I am guessing it is because it was not a very good one. I am thinking of getting a second router just for the router table, any suggestions? I do not want to spend alot, but I want quality...
  3. Dan Thibert

Received plane from ebay broken

I just received the no. 7 plane I won on eaby. The plane looks in good shape except the handle is broken in three pieces. I glued and clamped the handle together, with this hold? should I get my money back? I would have to pay shipping again and I only paid $46 for the plane. Your thoughts? pics...
  4. Dan Thibert

Kitchen Doors coming along

I will need to get some pics up soon but at this point I have the rails and styles cut for 6 doors and the faces for 6 drawers. My question is I will have 24 doors total and about 20 Drawers. The existing doors already have hinges on them that are mortised. I have not done anything like this...
  5. Dan Thibert

One more plane question

I am trying to have a good plane collection that is very usable and reasonably priced. So far I have a No. 3, 5, 60 1/2, 9 1/4 and I just purchased a No. 7 on EBay. For the most part I think I am done, my wife is sure I am done :rofl: But.......... I am looking at a Stanley No. 75 Rabbit...
  6. Dan Thibert

10" table saw blade

I was cutting the styles and rails for my kitchen cabinets yesterday and the saw does not seem to be cutting the way I would like not to mention it is leaving burn marks on the wood. I am not the sharpest tool int he box but I am guessing I need to change my saw blade. Here is my dilemma!! I do...
  7. Dan Thibert

Looking for a Stanley No 7 plane

I have been searching for a Stanley no 7 plane on ebay and either have been out bid each time or the bidding is already to high:eek: There are currently two planes on ebay that are not past my limit of $50, I am sure the one made in the UK is worth the money, but what about the older one made...
  8. Dan Thibert

Latest Project (Dog A-Frame)

I worked on this for the past couple of days and thought I would post my results. It may not be as fancy as other things I have see here, but I bet it is the first doggie a-frame :rofl: That is my black lab Miss T up against the house not sure what to do with her new toy yet.
  9. Dan Thibert

Dog A-Frame Agility ramp

I would like to build my dog an A-Frame agility ramp. She was on one during a vacation we had and she loved it and my wife is bugging me to build one now that I am an "official" woodworker :rofl: Does anyone have any plans for building one? I have any idea on how to do it but would love to work...
  10. Dan Thibert

I need heat in my basement

My shop is in my unheated basement. It is fine right now in the mid 60's probably but gets dang cold during the winter. What would be the easiest and least expensive way to heat this area? I have a oil Furnace int he basement and I could put another zone on it if I had to? I have gas available...
  11. Dan Thibert

Chisel set for BirthDay?

I ordered this expensive Japanese chisel set months ago and then realized although I would like it I probably could do with a less expensive set so I canceled it. Months later after I have forgotten it and still do not have a chisel set these arrive and they have charged my credit card. I ahev...
  12. Dan Thibert

New stanley 9 1/2 (chipped)

I picked up a Stanley 9 1/2 fro eBay for $13 plus shipping. It just arrived and the mouth is chipped, other than that it looks in good condition. I am guessing since the chip is where the blade sits it is not a problem, do you guys agree? See attached pics and let me know. Thanks Dan
  13. Dan Thibert

Please explain my new/old Stanley 60 1/2

Hi All, I just picked up a nice Stanley 60 1/2 low angle plane from eBay and it looks like it is in great condition. My question is, the front part of the shoe moves:huh: Why does it move? Where is the best place to set it? I appreciate all your help Dan
  14. Dan Thibert

Hand planes

I have a #5 Stanley Jack Plane and would like to use it to smooth out a drawer face I am putting together. I saw a #7 or #8 jointer plane at Leo's house and other than making me drool and want one, do I need one? I do not have a planner or jointer so would like to use hand tools to do this work...
  15. Dan Thibert

oil based poly over Water based?

Hi Folks, I have a coffee table that I do not like the way I finished it and would like to do it better with an oil based poly. Can I just go over the Water based poly that I had used, do I need to sand it all down or do I need something in the middle. Your help woudl be appreciated. Dan