Recent content by Dave Richards

1. Dave Richards

Measuring Up

Thank you sir. They just seem to find me.
  2. Dave Richards

Measuring Up

Thank you sir.
  3. Dave Richards

Measuring Up

Since this category is pretty quiet I figured I'd show another model I completed today. This is a micrometer attributed to James Watt and dated to about 1776. It's modeled based on dimensions taken from the original. "Watt" Micrometer
  4. Dave Richards

A Little Block in SketchUp

Here's another small thing. Even smaller than the block. No wood for this one but it was a fun quick little project. This one is animated. Click on the picture or the link. Tiny No. 23 I added the dimes for scale. They look too thick to me but they are modeled to the thickness given by the US...
  5. Dave Richards

Very good. I was hoping someone would go there. Coins are traditionally used as tally plates on wooden-cheeked blocks. 20 years ago when I built the little pram as a baby cradle for my son I used pennies as the tally plates for the sheave pins on the stand. It was hard even in April to find...
  6. Dave Richards

Yes. Indeed!
  7. Dave Richards

In sailor's jargon it's called a becket block. Pulleys are used on shore, blocks on ships and boats. ;) The becket is the pin through the strap at the bottom.
  8. Dave Richards

Doodling for a client.
  9. Dave Richards

Dressing Up SketchUp Models for Presentation

SketchUp released a new extension called Diffusion. It uses AI to create images based on your SketchUp model and some text prompts. I gave it this model of Tim Manney's woorkbench from Fine Woodworking's Tools and Shops 2024. Compact Stout Workbench straight And this prompt: "new pine work...
  10. Dave Richards

A Ming-Style Table

There are mortises in the long rails on the top for tenons on the tops of the legs. Bridle joints in the legs for the long aprons. Hidden dovetails join the long and short aprons. The shelf frame pieces have tenons into the legs. Everything is in a bit of compression when assembled.
  11. Dave Richards

A Ming-Style Table

This is a different style offurniture from what I'm normally interested in. This was done for the plans for Fine Woodworking. The table is by John Cameron. Except for the bridle joints between the long aprons and the spandrels, there's no glue used in assembly. No hardware whatsoever. Early...
  12. Dave Richards

Stacking Boxes for Print/Paper Storage

Thanks Brent. I think it's more practical, too. At least I don't have to live with his design.
  13. Dave Richards

Stacking Boxes for Print/Paper Storage

I did a quick model for someone who was looking for ideas for something simple to build for storing his large format drawings. His original idea was to make boxes with hinged lids that would stack. I did this design so he wouldn't have to shift boxes to get into ones lower down. Evidently...
  14. Dave Richards

A Dining Chair for Escher

Mine? No. Go ahead.
  15. Dave Richards

A Dining Chair for Escher

I thought about doing something to the back but it wasn't obvious what so I didn't.