Recent content by Derek Cohen

1. D

It's been a while ..

.. since I visited and posted here. I am finishing up a chest of drawers, cheekily referred to as the Lingerie Chest (as if my wife is going to fill it!). It has been an interesting build, a long build (some 13 months now), and one more to go. But it is at a stage where others would consider...
  2. D

Dovetails made easier

Here are a few strategies for producing tight dovetails. Add your own. Marking out with a scale. This makes it easier to adjust the spacing. Sawing square is the key to tight fitting dovetails. Ganging up boards makes this easier to do. I saw the tails first. The accuracy in sawing these...
  3. D

What we do for love .. and dovetails

This is a gift for my wife. I started the coopered top about a month ago, got back to it over the weekend (to round off the inside - with a hollow - and the outside) when I decided that it could become a feature in the review I am writing on the 20 tpi Veritas dovetail saw. The focus here was to...
  4. D

A Knightish Smoother

About two years ago (?), shortly after receiving his CNC machine, Steve Knight offered a few of his prototype kits at a reduced cost. The aim was to get the new kit off the ground. I bought a razee jack. Steve ran into problems mastering the CNC machine - the two sides of the plane did not...
  5. D

Building a Jack Plane - Pictorial

This pictorial article is now up on my website: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/BuildingAJackPlane.html It is long, but largely pictures covering just about all. I hope it proves helpful in building your own. Regards from Perth Derek
  6. D

The Ultimate Jack?

A year ago I received a selection of timbers from my Galootaclaus (on OldTools List). A length of Ebony went to infill the Brese small smoother kit (and there is sufficient over to infill a St James Bay Thumb Plane kit). There is a block of Padauk. And there was this piece of Mesquite ... I...
  7. D

The Brese Small Smoother Kit - WIP

Ron Brese offers a version of Holtey's S11 small smoother as a kit. He provides a complete steel shell (precisely machined), and you add the infill. This is a work in progress of my construction of the infill. It should have been a very simple task, however a custom modification of the bed...
  8. D

A couple of articles

This may interest the handtool maker and/or box maker. http://www.inthewoodshop.com/ShopMadeTools/EntryforAustralianWoodReview2009.html But wait .. there's more! Two for the price of one .. I recently posted this pictorial on making wooden hinges ...
  9. D

I have a new website!

Boys and girls I have a new website. I enjoy writing articles on woodworking - joinery techniques, tools building, etc - and hope that some of these will become helpful references for you. No commercial affiliations, although I do sometimes get to provide feedback on Veritas tools to the...