Recent content by Lora Irish

1. Lora Irish

Free Patterns Alert!

I have posted a small pattern package on my blog, LSIrish.com, and on my web store, ArtDesignsStudio.com, that is a new, 4th of July freebie. It contains patterns for quilt batik stamping, wallpaper border stencils, or could be used as scrapbook accents for your photos from this weekend. It is...
  2. Lora Irish

White and Red Oak

This is an amazing video, by a shipwright, showing the difference between red and white oak. Thought you might enjoy it.
  3. Lora Irish

Carving the Wood Spirit

I had a request on WoodWorkingChat.com for a Wood Spirit carving project, so I thought I would share the link here. It will also be posted on my blog, LSIrish.com. So, hope you will join me as I teach how simple carving the human face can be. The supply list is posted on today's home page...
  4. Lora Irish

Safety First - An Open General Discussion

Sara emailed me yesterday through my blog with a great question about wood and finish toxicity in pyrography. I thought I would post it here and perhaps open up a general discussion of wood crafting safety. My post is specifically pointed towards pyrography and toward wood crafting in general...
  5. Lora Irish

Wolf Portrait Arrowhead Pattern

I didn't forget ... I just got behind ... again! Here's the pattern for a wolf head inside of the arrowhead design, that you can use with the Mule Deer Relief Wood Carving Project posted here. Hope you like it. And to let you know I finally did it!!! I've signed up for a Facebook for...
  6. Lora Irish

Mule Deer Relief Carving Seminar

It's February and many of us are stuck inside because of the weather ... bored ... driving the family crazy ... being driven crazy by our family ... and looking for something new, fun, and exciting to do with the extra time on our hands. So, let's all get together and have some fun relief...
  7. Lora Irish

Link Banner ?

Does Family Woodworking have a small banner that I can use as a link in my widgets ????? Something around 200 pixels long at 72 to 100 dpi ??? Thanks, Lora
  8. Lora Irish

Getting Started - Tool Handle Styles

Well, its Friday! So let's talk about what your favorite tool handle style is and why that style works for you. Are there tools in your kit that have great cutting edges but you just don't use because they are uncomfortable to hold? If you have arthritis are there certain handles that allow...
  9. Lora Irish

Getting Started - Tracing

Easy Tracing for Relief Carving I thought for this Friday's Getting Started Tips that we might talk about tracing your pattern. My notes are for relief carving, if you have any ideas, techniques, or suggestions please add them!!! Do you have a favorite tracing media, or a favorite carving...
  10. Lora Irish

Getting Started - Tips & Tricks

As the weather gets colder, many of our woodworking friends are thinking about moving back into the house and perhaps taking up carvings. I thought that maybe we could share a few tips and tricks that will help them get started. So I am asking everyone to share one idea, one technique, or one...
  11. Lora Irish

Twistie Stick Snake Cane Tutorial

Hi Gang! Roy, aka Big Cougar, is teaching a great relief carving project with his bass pattern, which you can find under Carving Class, I thought I would share a walking stick carving. Walking stick carving is often one of the first carving projects a new woodcarver tries. This particular...
  12. Lora Irish

Wood Carver from Maryland

Hi gang, I'm Lora Irish and I wanted to say Hello and introduce myself. First, thank you Roy, Bill, and Darren for the great welcome and for directing me here. I have three loves that all are connected to woodworking ... well, really four! The first and most important to me, is my beloved...