Recent content by Matt Hutchinson

1. Matt Hutchinson

What stain?

If I'm using off the shelf products I gravitate towards gel stain. Also, I haven't been particularly happy with water based stains/dyes. I most often use spray only stains.
  2. Matt Hutchinson

Um, flatwork? Do Curved Doors Count?

I agree Glenn. As for the hinges, they are Salice 1/2" overlay face frame hinges with a 2 screw plate. The curved cabinet was only 7/16" thick so I drilled new holes in the plate so the screws were centered.
  3. Matt Hutchinson

Gray Maple Vanities

Hi Glenn, Yes, this is a spray only stain that I had tinted to this tone. Finished with precat lacquer.
  4. Matt Hutchinson

Face vs. End grain for chessboard.

Hi Rennie, I own a chess board made by Drueke (a nationally known GR based gameboard company). It's solid wood, about 3/4" thick, and all the grain is face grain running all the same direction. It's made of walnut and aspen. I've had it for 20 years with not an inkling of a hairline...
  5. Matt Hutchinson

Uber Custom Kitchen Cabinets

Yeah, working away! 💪 No, the homeowner made the concrete counter. I way underbid this project, but oh well. Live and learn. 😜
  6. Matt Hutchinson

Mid-Century Modern Cherry Vanity

Thanks! This was made for no profit for a special customer. I was hoping the color variation wasn't gonna be so pronounced, and in a perfect world I would have selected cherry that had uniform color for the doors and drawer fronts.
  7. Matt Hutchinson

This is cherry veneer. I layed up 3 layers of bending plywood on a form using a vacuum bag. Then I added the veneer. First time I've done this, and I learned a lot. :D
  8. Matt Hutchinson

Uber Custom Kitchen Cabinets

This was a major project last year. Some painted cabs, some cherry cabs, and fancy cherry drawer boxes and inserts.
  9. Matt Hutchinson

These were made for a boat. The stain match isn't perfect, unfortunately. I really wanted to redo the color, but the customer didn't care, and he was completely satisfied. But the perfectionist in me is cringing. :)
  10. Matt Hutchinson

Gray Maple Vanities

For some reason I've been doing a lot of vanities lately.
  11. Matt Hutchinson

Mid-Century Modern Cherry Vanity

Hey all, it's been a while. I recently completed a really fun project. This cherry vanity tries to use every last inch of space under the sink, and I think it came out pretty well. (I didn't choose the hardware. )
  12. Matt Hutchinson

Faux Mantle/Shelf Thingy

No, I don't think it was ever a functioning fireplace. I believe they just built it on a regular wall. It's not designed to sit on, but the installation brackets could actually hold the wait. I have a feeling their 4 year old son might not be able to resist turning it into a perch. :D
  13. Matt Hutchinson

Faux Mantle/Shelf Thingy

So after building a kitchen for this customer they wanted me to do some more work: a faux mantle in cherry. Because of its length I made it in 3 pieces. The 6" drop front is mitered to the top. That turned out to be a little tricky. The jig I made to keep it square to the top didn't work...
  14. Matt Hutchinson

Current Project. FINISHED

Very nice. It turned out great....I love it!
  15. Matt Hutchinson

Sweet Chestnut

Very nice work. Beautiful!