Recent content by Matt Hutchinson

1. Matt Hutchinson

Legs for Google

Yes, they are tapered indeed.
  2. Matt Hutchinson

Legs for Google

I was approached by a local company to turn some legs for tables. I got the job, and it turns out they are for a New York corporate office for Google. Pretty cool! These are made out of white oak.
  3. Matt Hutchinson

Lathe Upgrade - Shop Made Lathe Attachment

Well, I decided it needed to be done. A 3 foot toolrest. I know it will be worth the effort. Now I won't have to move my toolrest many times just to giterdone.
  4. Matt Hutchinson

Thanks Ryan. Yeah, I made a 24" tool rest with an epoxied rod. Unfortunately, it's too short. The section in the middle is about 32" long. Not sure if I'm gonna make another one for this project or not. I agree, I don't like the idea of how many times per piece I'm going to have to move...
  5. Matt Hutchinson

Hey all, I am currently working on 42" balusters for a customer. I knew I would need a spindle steady, but I didn't want to have to bolt it to the lathe. So this is what I came up with.
  6. Matt Hutchinson

State spindle sander

Just found this. State spindles for sale. https://www.facebook.com/groups/MIUsedWoodworkingMachines/permalink/3285115491731751/?sale_post_id=3285115491731751&app=fbl
  7. Matt Hutchinson

Spalted curly magnolia

Wow, great looking bowl. A really elegant form!
  8. Matt Hutchinson

Now What

Something that size (even cut up into turning blanks) will take many years to cure. If you can rough out your pieces on the lathe before sealing with something like Anchorseal they will dry much faster. That's how I like to prep my blanks, and it's a pretty reliable way to prevent cracking.
  9. Matt Hutchinson

Now What

You mentioned curing. How long will it be setting before you turn it?
  10. Matt Hutchinson

Birch Finials

Thanks guys! I'm thinking I'll start chronicling my business projects on YouTube. I figured why not...fun fun. Not just turning. Furniture, cabs, and whatever comes along. -Hutch
  11. Matt Hutchinson

Birch Finials

Just wrapped these little guys up this morning. I decided to make a video of the process just for kicks. - Hutch
  12. Matt Hutchinson

Some Manual Duplication

Thanks all! I duplicate these by hand using a story stick and calipers.
  13. Matt Hutchinson

Some Manual Duplication

Here's some turnings that I just finished for a local historical Victorian home. The finials are out of birch, and the balusters are white pine. The customer provided the white pine, and I otherwise never allow knots in my work. Also, I got a little too aggressive during the roughing...
  14. Matt Hutchinson

State spindle sander

Nice find! Those are great machines. I used to have one. The inerds are likely to be in good shape. In the center column there's a chamber with an oil bath that splashes oil on the oscillating/rotation mechanism. You probably don't need to disassemble to check anything in the column...
  15. Matt Hutchinson

What stain?

If I'm using off the shelf products I gravitate towards gel stain. Also, I haven't been particularly happy with water based stains/dyes. I most often use spray only stains.