Recent content by Mike Henderson

1. Mike Henderson

Folding Party Stands

About a year ago, I did the marquetry for these party stands (something to sit your drink and food on). But other projects always got in the way of finishing them. Over the past week to ten days, I was able to put some time into them and finally got them finished. Each one is a different wood...
  2. Mike Henderson

Rustic Chair (in process)

I knew that I wanted the back at 13 degrees so I began by cutting some thick scraps with a 13 degree cut. Then I put the back into the position I wanted it in, with the back resting against my bench (I moved the seat forward and backward until things were were I wanted them). Then I marked...
  3. Mike Henderson

Here's the finished chair. I mortised the back into the seat and applied a wipe on poly finish. The back is at 13 degrees to the seat. I was going to cut the back legs to make the seat slant backwards but my wife pointed out the because of the coopered seat, water would collect at the seat back...
  4. Mike Henderson

Here are a few pictures of the making of the back for the chair (the pictures of making the seat are above). The back will be coopered, with the top wider than the bottom. I began by drawing an end view of the bottom, full size. This helped me decide how many staves to use and...
  5. Mike Henderson

Some months back, a house in my neighborhood was being renovated and the homeowner put some things at the curb with a sign that said "Free". One thing was a header beam, about 5 1/2" by 9" by about 10' long. I had no idea what I'd use it for, but free wood is free wood, so I picked it up (with...
  6. Mike Henderson

Coffee table in progress

Just to close off this thread, here's a picture of the finished product, with glass on the top. Mike
  7. Mike Henderson

Coffee table in progress

Here's the coffee table just about finished. I ordered the glass for the top but it'll be a couple of days before it comes in. I found it hard to get some decent pictures of the table, that showed it the way you'd see it if you were looking at it in person. The mahogany should age to a darker...
  8. Mike Henderson

Coffee table in progress

Then I used a dowel hole transfer pin to transfer the location of the hole to the leg. I then drilled a hole into the leg and glued a dowel into that hole. I rounded the end of the dowel so it would go into the hole in the molding easier. I didn't have a jig to drill the hole into the leg -...
  9. Mike Henderson

Coffee table in progress

Okay, let me see if I can describe the leg attachment. I took a few pictures but maybe not enough. The first picture is of the top of the table, turned upside down. Note that I have a piece of decorative molding around the edges. At this point, the legs have already been made. Using them...
  10. Mike Henderson

Coffee table in progress

My wife, Judy, has been asking me to build a coffee table for over a year. But somehow, other projects just got in the way. Late last year, the threats grew serious and I knew it was time to get cracking on the table. It's still in progress but I'll show what I've done so far and update when...
  11. Mike Henderson

Repair - Refinishing of six dining room chairs

I really dislike repairing and refinishing old furniture but I sometimes get hooked into it. Most "old" furniture is just factory made stuff, and "old" usually means early 20th century. Anyway, this is six walnut dining room chairs. I wish I had taken "before" pictures but I didn't think of it...
  12. Mike Henderson

Evaluation of the LV PM-V11 chisel for chopping dovetails

Some time back, I expressed an interest (in a forum post on Saw Mill Creek) in the new Lee Valley PM-V11 chisels for use in chopping dovetails. Rob Lee contacted me and offered to send me a 3/8" chisel to evaluate, providing I gave him feedback on it. I set up a testing procedure and tested the...
  13. Mike Henderson

Need film scanner for 2 1/4 by 2 1/4 negatives

Back in the dark ages, before digital cameras, I used to do professional photography (mostly weddings) and used a camera that took 2.25" by 2.25" negatives (actually that's the outside dimensions so the actual image size is a bit smaller). I also used my camera for personal photographs. I have...
  14. Mike Henderson

Morning Glory on Trellis Marquetry

Okay, here are the two panels mounted and with a coat of dewaxed shellac. One has the lighter wood for the trellis. Let me know which you prefer now that the banding and border has been applied - along with the shellac. My own preference is for the one with the lighter wood. The extra...
  15. Mike Henderson

Morning Glory on Trellis Marquetry

Here's one of those Morning Glory panels glued up. It has a coat of dewaxed shellac on it. I have the other one in press now. Very difficult to get a good picture. Mike