Recent content by mike marvel

1. mike marvel

Memorial Day

Memorial Day is a federal day to recognize and honor those that died while serving in the Armed Forces of the United States. Personally I don't like calling it a holiday. Many will have a long weekend to have family together, and barbeque or enjoy some car racing, while others, like those below...
  2. mike marvel

Dowels and Tenons

Tenons and created dowels that are of a close fit make for good mating when glued. If you notice that the prefabricated dowels that are sold have a very slight chamfer on the ends, and could have flutes, or spiral grooves. If you cut a dowel from dowel rod, and leave the ends just cut with a...
  3. mike marvel

Another Amazing Tool Chest

There was a time when a craftsman was assigned a bench, and he brought his own tools, and his tool chest might have been an indicator of his expertise. He didn't have much more than that to show. They were a proud bunch of guys, very dedicated to their lust for the craft. In 40 years I had only...
  4. mike marvel

Chicken Tenders With Dipping Sauce

This was too good not to share. My wife does a lot of experimenting, and is a terrific cook, I must say. This meal is made using chicken tenders doused in a bowl with a well beaten egg. In a low sided container (tray or even waxed paper), coat the tenders with Panko bread crumbs. Then in a pan...
  5. mike marvel

Beer Can Chicken

We tried a recipe for "beer can chicken". There are a some to pick from off the internet. What makes it great is the rub that's used. There are a few recipe's for that too. Grilling is easy with a "chicken rack" bought at Bed Bath and Beyond. The beer doesn't really matter I guess. I had...
  6. mike marvel

Ok roll up its dogshow time show me your shop dog. Update us on a latest pic

I've had German Shepherds all my life (all rescue), and having two keeps them happy. We lost one recently to perianal fistula (rare but not to a very small number of GSD's). We went to the animal control this past weekend and LOML fell in love with "Max"..a black Lab...5 months old... . . Our...
  7. mike marvel

How To Destroy Screw Heads And More

A tool used correctly is much more efficient, and produces good results. If one wants to totally demolish a phillips head when driving a screw, there are a few tips I can give from personal experience. First, make sure your screw bit is well worn. A #1 bit used in a #2 head tears 'em up pretty...
  8. mike marvel

No Bore Glass Door Pivot Hinge

You may want to hang frameless glass doors over a cabinet opening. This type of hinge requires no holes to be drilled in the glass. It's really pretty simple to figure out the size of the glass and where to drill the hole. It's available in a variety of finishes, like chrome, black and polished...
  9. mike marvel

This May Be News To You

Maybe not. In many areas there are suppliers that cater to cabinet and woodworking shops that also sell 'over the counter'. Many of these sources will sell to other than those in the trade (it doesn't hurt to ask). I find in these times they are more inclined to do that. I can speak in this area...
  10. mike marvel

Article: Making Curved Moulding - Mike Marvel

You can view the page at http://familywoodworking.org/forums/content.php?120-Making-Curved-Moulding-Mike-Marvel
  11. mike marvel

Laying Out Cabinetwork

Many of the drawing programs may not present the actual details as they occur. I have a method I use for laying out that may help. I take all my wall measurements and details like plumbing, electrical outlets, windows, door casings, appliances, etc. Then I cut out a mock countertop from...
  12. mike marvel

Radiused Laminated Platform Bed/Dressers

These pieces were all done with a plywood substrate, with radiused fronts and edges, laminated in a gloss high pressure laminate (like Formica). . . . . . . .
  13. mike marvel

Destroying Screw Heads And More

See Warning** A tool used correctly is much more efficient, and produces good results. If one wants to totally demolish a phillips head when driving a screw, there are a few tips I can give. First use the fastest speed your tool has. Second, manage to be off the line of the screw, that is...
  14. mike marvel

Fast-Easy-Accurate-Dadoes

I prefer to do dadoes with a router for a few reasons. For large panels or heavy stock, it's easier to take the tool to the work. In using a hand held router, you can see what you're doing. Doing dadoes on the table saw require the stock to be held down throughout the entire cut. The blades are...
  15. mike marvel

Scotch-Brite Pads

When doing light sanding or abrading there are times that a synthetic microfiber pad like Scotch-Brite would be a better choice over sandpaper or any of the "wools". They can be used by hand, or with a block, or just add it to a ROS (random orbit sander) that has a sanding disk already on it, as...