Recent content by patrick anderson

1. patrick anderson

makita 10.8 drill driver / impact problems ?

I know I haven't been posting much (too busy working to keep the house). I have the makita 10.8 pair and today I was driving a screw in and it stopped spinning. The thing seems to have stripped the clutch as it will spin when I pull the trigger but stop as soon as I grab the chuck the schuck...
  2. patrick anderson

question for the cross cut sled users here

I have a ryobi bt3000 which has been a very good saw and while I'd love to be able to upgrade, I can't afford to right now. One thing that I have a love/hate relationship with is the sliding mitre table so as part of building a cabinet for the saw and extending the rails, I'm making some...
  3. patrick anderson

drilling 90deg holes with a cordless drill

I need to make some jigs for my wife (well one for her and hopefully sell the others) It's a bit like a cribbage board with with nails at 2 different heights for wrapping metal wire around to "knit" the wire. The nails are at 1/4" o.c in 2 staggered rows like * * * * * * * * *...
  4. patrick anderson

makita chuck problem

I have the 10.8v pair of makita's with the 1/4 hex quick release chuck and I noticed that some dewalt 1/4 drive bits I have wouldn't fit. The other day I was using it with a drill/countersink bit and now I can't get the bit out. Has anyone else had this issue or know how to get the bit out as...
  5. patrick anderson

furnace questions

I live in a 50's rancher. It's the typical sort of thing ie brick veneer, no insulation, aluminium windows and a hvac system from the 70's at a guess. I know the hvac system is getting close to needing a replacement but right now it's band aids at the ready as I don't have 4k+ spare. The ac...
  6. patrick anderson

sap popping trough paint

I did search a couple of times before this post but "sap" falls into the 3 letter word category and is skipped by the search....grrr. I finally have a project that is decent enough to post here (a arbour for the MIL). She wanted a white paint finish so all ideas of nice joinery went out the...
  7. patrick anderson

old model grizz g1022

I found one of these on CL fairly close to me for $100. Looking at the photos it looks like it's fairly old as the grizz logo is different. Anyone here have any experience with it or know where I could find out more info. I'm tempted to go get it and sell off my bt3k.
  8. patrick anderson

not a new tool but a question

I have one of the hitachi cb13f bandsaws. One day while trying to clean up the mess in my "shop" I needed to move it. I had it mounted on a 1/2 sheet of mdf attached to a old bt3000 saw stand. What I forgot was I had taken the bolts out because I was going to re do the mounting. Sod's law came...
  9. patrick anderson

makita plunge saw now available in the US

yet another alternative to festool http://www.makita.com/en-us/Modules/Tools/ToolDetails.aspx?ID=26669
  10. patrick anderson

Selling stuff to keep the house

This has been a very tough year so far financially so I'm now faced with some very tough choices. I need to get money in asap or risk losing our house. I'd rather not have to do this but tough times demand tough choices. Festool TS55 + extra 55 rail and connectors. 2 months old. - $450 obo...
  11. patrick anderson

something new and quite cool

http://www.bridgecitytools.com/blog/category/jointmaker-pro-stationary-hand-saw/ I might get one at some point. Be really nice to use for building architectural models.
  12. patrick anderson

A question for the Canadians here

I've had a inquiry form a customer in Toronto about buying one of my shed units. I'm more than happy to deliver and install it but I was wondering about going through customs and if duty would have to be paid? I guess this might be a bit of a grey area. Thanks, patrick
  13. patrick anderson

DeWalt plunge saw

IIRC Stu posted a link about this saw a while ago. I was looking at the UK DeWalt website and they have 2 cordless versions and a corded one. The rail system is also supposed to accept their router. I just emailed DeWalt over here and they said that due to OSHA they didn't think it would be...
  14. patrick anderson

Anyone here with a laser (epilog etc) ?

I'm looking to have some 16-18ga aluminium logo's cut to fix onto my products (approx 1.5W X 2.25 H. I could cut the things out myself if I had the money for a scroll saw and the patience. Does anyone here have a engraver or know anyone who could do this at a decent price? I'm looking to get a...
  15. patrick anderson

WTB 6" dado set

I'm looking to get hold of one. If anyone here is interested in selling let me know