Recent content by Peter Rideout

1. Peter Rideout

Nosy Neighbor Part 637

Years ago, I helped some friends do some yard cleanup, coincidentally right beside their nasty neighbours’ house. It involved a diesel powered industrial wood chipper like the arborists use. It was like a four-engine plane running in the yard! I highly recommend this, Vaughn, even if you have to...
  2. Peter Rideout

Nosy Neighbor Part 637

He’s actually living in this province now, about 10 minutes from us and is doing well. We talk every day and recently reminisced about those neighbour problems. Happy to report he has no such issues here. 🙂
  3. Peter Rideout

New Shop

Nice, very nice. Now your wife can have those sheep she’s always wanted😁 We could set you up with some breeding stock. It’s a bit of a drive, though. That’s a great shop.
  4. Peter Rideout

Happy Birthday Peter Rideout!

Thank you, guys, for the birthday greetings. I had a nice day, quiet and mostly indoors, but lots of fun messages from friends far and wide.
  5. Peter Rideout

Friday 03-29-24

Warm, wet weather and higher night temperatures are really bringing spring on early here. Pastures are greening up, trees and shrubs are starting to bud out. Hopefully we don’t get another cold blast, always a risk. Heavy rain is on until Sunday, but lots of interesting jobs to do in the shop...
  6. Peter Rideout

Friday 3.8.24

We’re doing some domestic logging this week. An arborist and his crew arrived Monday morning with two bucket trucks and a traffic control team and brought the last of our roadside sugar maples down on the ground. We were sorry to lose this one, which provided welcome shade from the summer sun...
  7. Peter Rideout

Friday, 2-9-24 Thread

Yours is an interesting climate and geography for sure. I’m surprised you’re still getting a bit of snow in mid February, certainly a function of the elevation. We are basically at sea level and you can ascend a couple of hundred metres on the highest inland hills. No place here is more than...
  8. Peter Rideout

Friday, 2-9-24 Thread

It’s a melting day here, +7C and partly sunny. I had to take off the insulated coveralls! It’s a good chance to tidy up some of the accumulated snow around the buildings from last week’s 3 day storm. We got off easy here, just about 40 cm of snow, but the north wind howled off the bay for days...
  9. Peter Rideout

The Farm Shop

I was thinking along similar lines, directing a hose or pipe to a barrel or box downstairs to basement level from the shop where shavings and sawdust could become animal bedding. I’m a dust collection novice, but two problems come to mind: in order to work properly, I think the barrel or box...
  10. Peter Rideout

Friday 02FEB24

Another quiet winter weekend shaping up, hopefully with lots of shop time. Moving the kitchen pantry project ahead is the top priority. The forecast is for snow and flurries for the next four days, with some estimates up to 50-70 cm of snow😳. I got the old tractor re-configured for winter the...
  11. Peter Rideout

Special Box

It’s truly beautiful, Ted. My sympathies.
  12. Peter Rideout

Snowy Mountain on a Sunny Day

Beautiful!
  13. Peter Rideout

bad week

I’m sorry to hear this, Allen. They are hard losses for sure. It sounds like they were lives well-lived. We buried our Aunt Marg in November. She was 103 and the last of my father’s siblings. She had the remarkable gift of knowing and caring about everything that was going on in the world and...
  14. Peter Rideout

Friday, January 26th 2024.

Clearing a bit of snow this morning, just 3-4 inches that fell overnight, then into the shop to continue the kitchen cabinet work, after I do an emergency job for my wife🙄. She is finishing an eight harness loom that’s been in pieces since she bought it from a weaver on the west coast. Now...