Recent content by Rex Bloem

1. Rex Bloem

Hello again

I finally have gotten time to again be here and enjoy the forum. A little over 2 years ago and changed positions within the company that I work for and it seems that things went down hill from there as far as time is concerned. I moved from service to parts and then to the parts manager at the...
  2. Rex Bloem

Proper adhesive

I know that I haven't posted much lately. I have been very busy with work and just not in the woodworking mood. I did purchase a 50" rail set for my table saw. I am going to put a router table in the right hand end of it. I got some solid surface material at an auction and I am thinking of using...
  3. Rex Bloem

estate sale

Saturday I am going to the estate sale of a cabinet maker. There are a couple of things that interest me. There is a Mini Max S45 bandsaw, an Atlas floor drill press and a Rockwell 32" radial drill press. From the reading that I have done it looks like the bandsaw is an upper end homework shop...
  4. Rex Bloem

The bed

Late last year I got started on building the bed for my granddaughter. It took me a long time to do as I am very slow. This is built out of burr oak from a tree that I had cut on my dad's place. I followed a plan from Wood Mag, but had to do a few modifications. The lumber had some twist to it...
  5. Rex Bloem

curly maple

I like to watch the Woodsmith show on PBS. This past week or so they made a box with curly maple and dyed it and it had black ends. I am about to make a box somewhat like it for my Korean daughter for her birthday. I decided to use walnut on the ends instead of dying them black. Is there a light...
  6. Rex Bloem

Hackberry

Has anybody out there used hackberry for flat work. I have seen a few turnings, but no flat work that I can think of. I have access to a 26-28" hackberry tree that I can get 3 8-9' logs out of. How does it work conpared to red oak?
  7. Rex Bloem

bust'en buttons

My LOML and I are the proud grandparents of a baby girl. My daughter delivered a beautiful little girl yesterday after 21 hours in labor. Everybody is doing well. Our sil was wanting a boy to share his love of hunting and fishing, but minute after he took ahold of his daughter that went away and...
  8. Rex Bloem

computer techies

At the moment I use an air card to get my internet in the shop. I have internet service in house with a wireless modum. I have a weak signal at the shop,but no signal inside. I have been told that I can get another modum and hook into the phone line in the shop and have service here also. I have...
  9. Rex Bloem

Wood Gloat

Last winter I cut down a few trees to have them milled for lumber. I had taken the first 4 of 6 to the sawyer and he had gotten them cut by the first of Aug. I picked them up and stacked. I took the other 2 and he called me later that they were ready. That is when the problem started. I was in...
  10. Rex Bloem

I have been good. Tool gloat.

When we were opening gifts on Christmas I opened a box that checks come in. Inside was a reciept and a picture of this. I had to go and get it as it wouldn't fit in the van. But hey that was no problem, it gave me another chance to go to the Woodsmith Store. I got it home, unloaded and...
  11. Rex Bloem

Which glue

I am building a bed for my daughter and had to glue up legs to get them thick enough. I want to cover the edge grain so that it looks somewhat like a solid piece. I cut strips and sanded them. They are about 1/16" thick. What would be the best glue for glueing them on. Regular...
  12. Rex Bloem

What can you do?????

I have mine about done. I got around to working on my it fun thing and about have it done. I need to put a finish on it yet, but don't know what. It is supposed to be a little potpourri box. I kinda followed the one in Wood mag.
  13. Rex Bloem

request that stunned me

Saturday I was at my inlaws. After lunch I was about to leave when my LOML told her mom that I had made a cedar chest. I went out to my pickup to get my camera to show her a pic. After looking at the pics she asked if I would make their caskets. That set me back a little and I replied that it...
  14. Rex Bloem

The end of a era.

Next week friday will be my last day to turn wrenches at this dealership. No I didn't get laid off. I am being moved to the parts deptment as the parts lead. They came to me and asked me to do it and I have had a hard time making up my mind. Five years ago I started a mobile service for them to...
  15. Rex Bloem

Great ending to the week.

This last week started rather poorly as I managed to get flu like symtoms the 4th. At a little after 3am tuesday we got a phone call that my son was taking his LOML to the hospital. At 5:27 pm she gave brith to a boy. The LOML and my first grandson. We left here wed am as the LOML had to work on...