Recent content by Rob Damon

1. R

Another Reason I Don't Wanna Fly Anywhere

My best flight was back in 1990. We were making flights back and forth to Roosevelt Roads Naval station in Puerto Rico for design work due to Hurricane Hugo damage. (Alot of the $80M money the Feds spent on that base had little to do with the HH damage, and more to do with the Military drug...
  2. R

Product Shipping

The best USPS story from 30 years ago: My MIL, living in Virginia, would mail out Xmas gifts to her family living in Austria by the end of August to make sure they would arrive by Christmas time. One year she mailed the gifts and in June of the following year they flew to Austria for a month...
  3. R

PSA - DeWalt recall

Saw this on yahoo: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2022/DeWALT-Recalls-Nearly-1-4-Million-Miter-Saws-Due-to-Injury-and-Laceration-Hazards
  4. R

The countdown begins.....10, 9, 8.....

Because of the Covid, I have been working from home since March 15, 2020. I already lost track of what day it is, sometime around June of last year. The big plus is the wife is already used to me being home 24/7/356 after the past year. The biggest difference will not having to check office...
  5. R

The countdown begins.....10, 9, 8.....

Finally after decades of working, retirement begins in 10 days! April 30, 2021. I imagine these will be the 10 longest days of my career. First task, take two weeks and do absolutely nothing and then start on the 200 hundreds projects I have been putting off doing for the last decade...
  6. R

I know I said I wouldn't but hey this is for a really good reason

If you think a double .22 is fun, here is a 1911 double.....
  7. R

New Shop Journey

Being in the A/E field for decades, the inspector get paid regardless of if you do it right. What ticks them off if he tells the contractor and shows the contractor something that needs to be fixed and the contractor tells him, "No problem, we will take care of it" and he doesn't, that is what...
  8. R

New Shop Journey

I had the electrical contractor also install a few spare 1-1/2" conduit stub outs for future power feeding out of the building and also I knew I would be adding wired alarm system from the house.
  9. R

New Shop Journey

Suggestions, you may already being doing it. While the trenches for the utilities are open, make sketches and take accurate measurements off known structures, distance from house and depth and general run. Trust me, 5-10 years down the road it will be good info to have. Also, the contractor will...
  10. R

Need Excel help

Come on admit it, when nobody was looking you cheated and used a slide ruler like I did>>>>>
  11. R

CCW Licensing Requirements for Your State?

No, you need a member to sponsor you to get in. 40 years ago my boss was a member but he has moved out the area.
  12. R

Breaking rules

Of all the large dangerous tools I have, the only tools that I have been wounded by that required stitches is a dang utility knife.
  13. R

Need Excel help

Lotus 123? Showing your age a little. I start with Visicalc and Multiplan, then moved to lotus 123 and then to MS-Excel. Oh just remembering the 9 pin mono-directional dot matrix printer and then the daisy wheel print.
  14. R

Starlink Internet

I have a co-worker that lives in the sticks far from cable, fios or anything fast. He is definitely looking forward to see if this pans out. If it does he can shift from going into the office to working from home. Luckily, I am able to get high speed fiber to the house that lets me work from home.
  15. R

CCW insurance.

Even if your shooting is a justified self-defense most will say you are going to have your weapon taken by the police as evidence (they will keep it for about a year) and you will most likely end up in a cell over night. Maybe if there are cameras and lots of witnesses you may go home or get to...