Recent content by Royall Clark

1. R

Clockkit clocks.

All is well that ends well! The correct movements came in and I was able to get the Christmas gifts finished. It actually worked out for as the lager clock face looks better balanced that the smaller one would have. I made a template out of 1/2" plywood and carefully centered it on each clock...
  2. R

Black Epoxy

What is the easiest thing to add to epoxy to make it black? Many years ago I did see an episode of NYW, where Norm was working with Mesquite, and filled some of the voids with it before milling. Looked great in the end....
  3. R

Clockkit clocks.

I ordered some of the small clocks that go into a 2 3/4" hole. I didn't think to ask what the overall diameter of the clock is and now I find they are close back east. Does anybody have one to measure? I can't imagine them being more that 3"-3 1/4" but just want to be sure.... The part # is...
  4. R

Saw dust extractor

At Glen: Yes, there is a Sears shop vac pulling the air. Ryan, I base this unit largely from Matthias Wandel design. His is a hybrid of a Thien baffle and a cyclone, thus the greater distance between the lid and the baffle. How thin and how did you support a thin baffle? I went with the 3/4"...
  5. R

Saw dust extractor

I built a small dust/chip separator today. I combined an old 10 gallon shop vac with a Home Depot bucket. Again, I looked at many Youtube videos and put this unit together. I still need to add some silicone to where the bucket fits into the the hole I cut out in the clamping top of the shop vac...
  6. R

Poor Mans Drop Cord

This is the rest of the story! I glued and stapled one side piece to the base. The other side (didn't get a pix) is screwed on. That way you can get the cord in after it is mounted. I counter sunk the bolt head only because I didn't have any longer 1/4"x20 bolts. Hey its all out of scraps at...
  7. R

Poor Mans Drop Cord

I know... the old guy has too much time on his hands!! :D I think it was Chuck that bought a new drop cord and posted a thread the other day... Well I tripped on my extension cord to day and actually said a very bad word!!:eek: I was just finishing up the router fence and a though came to...
  8. R

Building a New Router Fence.

Thanks guys for the accolades! Got the fence finished this morning. Had to "fine tune" it a bit but now looking for my first project to put it to work! I do need to squirt a little lacquer on it but I'll do that when I've got something else to finish....
  9. R

Building a New Router Fence.

Back in September I wanted to make a new router table fence. Well I got looking over what was available on Youtube and next thing I knew, I was building a router lift instead! Well things got a bit hectic and yesterday finally got to start work on the fence. I took ideas from several people...
  10. R

Treadmill motors

Just a passing thought.... I've always been interested in treadmill motors. Has anybody utilized them in any projects? Can those bulky control boards be down sized? Can they be used as disc sander motor? Or to up grade my little wood lathe motor for better speed control? I know.... lots of...
  11. R

Odd commission!

I woman asked me to make something last night. I was a bit surprised when she asked me if I had ever seen any corporal punishment paddles when I was in school! :eek: Well, as a matter of fact, I was quite familiar with the "board of education"!!:rolleyes: I described the "Alligator" that my 7th...
  12. R

New pullout tray for the old PU.

I got watching things on Youtube, and came across this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jd1Sx_tldHs Anyway, I thought that would make life a lot easier when doing my handyman thing around town. You know when you want a tool it will be at the very front of the box and you have to climb...
  13. R

New Glue question

I was watching a video on Youtube and the guy was putting molding components together with a glue called 2-P10. Its a 2 part glue that you put a liquid glue from a bottle on one face of the joint and spay the opposite face with an activator from a can and hold together for 10 seconds. Question I...
  14. R

First Band Saw Box

I needed to make something for a silent auction that is taking place tomorrow night at a benefit dinner for a friend that is fighting cancer. I was watching Youtube flicks and came across one built by the "Drunken Woodworker"... I downloaded the basic design from his web site. His has a nice...
  15. R

Router collet extensions

How safe are the 1/2" shank extensions? I have a bowl bit that I would like to try but it has such a short shank on it.