Recent content by tim Rowledge

1. tim Rowledge

Faceframe material for paint-grade project

I usually use Fir or Maple for stain finished pieces but I need to make a bunch of paint-finish kitchen cabinets for our new house. I find myself wondering what wood is a sensible option for the face frame and other places. I know that on the east coast you'd likely go for Poplar but I live on...
  2. tim Rowledge

Infected by Festool at last

After manfully resisting the temptation for over a year I finally surrendered and got an RO150 and CT33. I seem to have been on a bit of a tool spree recently, what with the Steel City 18" BS and the Steel City 17" DP and now succumbing to Festoolitis. And it's all *your* fault. I claim it is a...
  3. tim Rowledge

Wiring up a SteelCity 18" BS

OK, so I have a new bandsaw and need to connect it to a source of high octane electrons. The 18" BS is intended for 220v so I want to connect it to my pre-existing 220v lead that is currently in use for my MM combo. That lead has a NEMA L6-30 socket on the end, which has found connections. The...
  4. tim Rowledge

Does my dovetail saw pull to the left or is it all my fault?

I've been trying out hand cutting dovetails for the first time in 35 years (since I was first taught them at school in fact) and I'm having a lot of trouble cutting the pins straight. I know I'm not exactly expert at wielding the saw but I really can't quite work out how I could be making a...
  5. tim Rowledge

SketchUp followme and components

I'm having trouble using followme with components. Two issues really I guess. If I draw a flat shape with curves - a typical moulding profile for example and then select the whole shape and use followme it extrudes smoothly around my path and looks fine. a) if I make the original shape a...
  6. tim Rowledge

Canadian supplier for Tersa knives?

I need some more Tersa blades for my MiniMax 12" j/p. Has anyone found a good supplier in Canada?
  7. tim Rowledge

TurboCAD v9 + CADCourse set

I have a set of TurboCAD v8/9 discs+manuals and accompanying CADCourse disc+manuals. I don't do Windows so they're not much use to me anymore; yours for free if you'll pay the shipping, which I'd guess might be $30 or so depending upon where you live.
  8. tim Rowledge

Ho hum, don't forget to do it backwards, Virginia...

I spent much of today working on another cute (I hope, left hand picture) box for another of my cute (very, right hand picture) nieces. I carefully made a length of custom molding to wrap a nice birdseye maple top panel; quite a complex molding requiring a dozen or so cuts and routing passes...
  9. tim Rowledge

What wood would go nicely with very straight tight Fir?

I have some really nice straight grain fir that I'm thinking of making into a small cupboard; it would be great at the carcase/faceframe/doorframe stock. I'm trying to imagine suitable woods for the door panel. I have wild cherry that might work and teak seems a possibility. What would others...
  10. tim Rowledge

Huuuuuge Bubinga slab available

I visited my local (-ish, if you count 30 miles away as local) Windsor Plywood store this morning and discovered that they have another enormous slab of bubinga on offer. They claim it's 173 bd.ft. of 8/4; it appears to be a touch over 5ft wide and 17ft long. A touch expensive at C$7500 but...