Recent content by Tom Bussey

1. T

New Marking Gage

I have been considering getting a new marking gage for a while. I really like the one I have . I got it off from a retiring Pattern Maker back in the 80s. The bar is hex so when it gets dull I just rotate it. The long bar comes in handy but it is also sometimes cumbersome so I have been looking...
  2. T

A friend request

I have a request to someone to be friends and I don't know what that is. Computers are kind of a mystery to me.
  3. T

New work bench in use

I posted pictures of my finally finished bench a couple of weeks ago, and I though it would be nice to post some pictures of it in use. Having the bottom of the tool tray slide out has some advantages.
  4. T

Finally finished my new bench

A lot of the bench was inspired by a picture of a Shaker bench from Scott Landis's book The Workbench Book. The bench pictured is in a museum in Hancock. Massachusetts. I actually spent a lot of time trying to match the color and still make that part of the bench look old at the same time. I...
  5. T

Where it ended up so far

I posted, Building Grandsons Christmas Present, earlier on this forum. I did however manage to show my grand son, who is 12, how to assemble his workbench when we had our family Christmas a couple of weeks ago. I didn't put it all together but I thought he had the idea. I did get it to my...
  6. T

RE: repurposeing

RE: repurposeing There have been, and I am sure there will be again, times when I wished I had a chisel plane. As far as I know my only choices for one was Lee Valley or Lie Nielsen. And those are over $100. Now I had cut the front of from a regular angle Dunlap block plane before and it works...
  7. T

Building Grandsons Christmas Present

pictures of the finished bench.
  8. T

More pictures ofmy as yet unfinished bench

I managed to get one wrong picture so here is the tail vise with a round bench dog.
  9. T

More pictures ofmy as yet unfinished bench

A lot of times I do not go back and revisit a post once I have looked at it unless there are a lot of views so I thought I would do a new post. Here are some pictures of more uses of the bench. The first is clamping a long board with a shoulder vise. Because it is a split top the next two...
  10. T

Just some pictures of the bench that is finished.
  11. T

I took a little time off from building my new bench to get my grandsons Christmas present built. I do not have to far to go. I need to fasten the top on and put some holes in it. I also can't forget the bottom shelf. I have two short bench dogs, one I used in my tail vise, the other works...
  12. T

Not another Roubo bench

Since I posted about the back side I thought I would show as much of the front as I can. The first picture is of me taking the not completed shoulder vise for a spin. Someone, a while back on a different forum said they didn't like a shoulder vise for cutting dovetails because a person had to...
  13. T

Not another Roubo bench

I posted a while back in the design section about laying out for my new bench, I have been busy building so I haven't posted much. I did post in the jigs and fixture section on a couple things I had to build just to build the bench. My new bench is 34 1/2 inches high, just under 8 foot long. I...
  14. T

support at the table saw.

I also made an infeed table support for my table saw. The top of my new bench is almost 8 foot long . I made a plywood sled to hold the long pieces of hickory for so I could get a straight line rip I have a roller stand but if I position out far enough to support every thing at the beginning I...
  15. T

working heavy material on a Jointer

To continue, I while back I bought 4 large pieces of Cherry. The one shown was almost 12 wide 4 inches thick and over ten feet long and weighed 95 pounds. I also had on that came in a 93 pounds. I didn't know what to use it for so I used it for the frame of my new bench. Hence working with...