Recent content by Travis Porter

1. Travis Porter

Workbench

Latest drawing I have made a few modifications. I had to resize the base so I could get the front vise to work out, and I have drawn the end vise. For the actual vises, I am thinking I will make them out of purpleheart since I have recently gotten some for a good price. I am putting a...
  2. Travis Porter

Sketchup and groups

If I make a group and realize I left an item out of the group how do I add it or do I have to cut the component, edit the group, then paste the component?
  3. Travis Porter

Workbench

Made some changes to add the dead man and the holes in the bench dog. I like the deadman, but I am not sure I like how I did it. I made it 6" wide and extended the track 3" beyond the bench base so it wouldn't interfere with drawers, but it just doesn't seem right. Comments, suggestions?
  4. Travis Porter

Mold

I have a mold problem with the grout in my shower. Have tried many varieties of cleaners and mold killers with little to no success. Initially when it got bad 3 or 4 years ago, I thought the previous homeowners had just caulked the corners and went in and removed all the grout, regrouted it...
  5. Travis Porter

Workbench

I am biting the bullet based on Rob's other posting on sharing/showing a design that I am getting ready to start on. It is a workbench modified from an issue of shopnotes. It will have a cabinet beneath it, a tail vise, and a quick release front vise. As of yesterday, I now have all the...
  6. Travis Porter

Sliding tablesaw

It seems I have convince the LOML to let me upgrade up my tablesaw set up from a cabinet saw to a slider. What features/capabilities should I look for? I am not interested in what brand is better than the other, but more so what should it be capable of. I do some cabinets, furniture, and...
  7. Travis Porter

Playhouse

It has been a while since I have been on the site, but I have been working on building 2 playhouses that I drew up in sketchup. Sketchup made the actual construction a lot easier, but building double of everything is time consuming. Here is a export of the sketchup drawing I did. Here is a...
  8. Travis Porter

Sketchup hot keys

In sketchup 5.0 I had a short cut key to erase all construction lines by pressing the letter E. How do I set this up in the new version 6.0?
  9. Travis Porter

Show Me Your Router Table!!!

Here is my router table before I finished it. LOML got me a Jessem lift, top and fence for Christmas last year so that simplified things. I do not like the drawers on the side very much. Too narrow, and I can never figure out which drawer a bit is in. I like the side load bit storage that...
  10. Travis Porter

Show Me Your Miter Saw/RAS Station!!!

I have a RAS, but I have about quit using it altogether and am thinking about selling it. For CMS setups, I have two. One a bench run, but in retrospect, I wish it sat flush to the top of the cabinets. Eats up a lot of space I could use otherwise. This one I keep stashed under my lumber rack...
  11. Travis Porter

Show Me Your Wood Storage!!!

Here is mine. Plywood rack on hinges, holds about 10 sheets. Nice to be able to swing it out. No secret compartments like Stu has.... Lumber rack with miter saw cab underneath and little wheeled boxes for shorts.
  12. Travis Porter

Arts and crafts chairs

I made a few changes to the arts and crafts chairs that Dave had drawn up. I couldn't figure out how to do the colors, but I am thinking more slats in the back. Thoughts?
  13. Travis Porter

Minimax FS31

Not sure if this goes in the new tools or old tools but here goes. There is an auction up the road for a Minimax FS31 planer/jointer combo. It looks to be in decent shape, and I am planning to go take a look at it tomorrow. Problem is, it does not have the cutter guard or fence for the...
  14. Travis Porter

What are used/old chisels worth

I have been wanting to upgrade my chisels, and have been watching the posts here and watching flea bay. Over the past 3 days, I found a pair of nice Stanley everlasts and started bidding on them. They were short not long handled, and in good shape, but by the time the end of the auction came...
  15. Travis Porter

Shaper usage

The LOML was gracious enough to buy me a shaper for my birthday (back in September). Of course I had to go out and immediately buy some cutters for it, a Freud set with the raised panel cutter and the stile and rail set. The raised panel cutter is straight forward enough to me, but the stile...