Friday 28Feb20

Dave Hoskins

Last Friday of the month. Another gone. Several sales so not complaining. Shop time later this morning. And, all weekend. This afternoon going to do some shopping for meats (brisket, turkey, etc.) for smoking. Gotta smoke them. And, even some more corned beef. Discovered that if you marinate it over night, then an hour or so before you put it in the smoker you rub it down with some honey and garlic. My My.

Making me hungry this morning Dave. :)

It's supposed to hit the 60s this weekend here, so planning to get more shop time in. I need to get the window made to match the barn door. Probably will have the grandkids one night of it, need to find another park to go play at, the usual one is under construction.

Working on another shop upgrade. I am building a column in my shop to house Dust collection piping, 220v power supply, 110v power, air supply to a portion of my shop where I had a huge jumble of stuff. All of this it tied to the CNC Jointer, Table saw.

I will paint the Column and use it as a display. Maybe steampunk the whole thing. I dunno, have not yet decided.

Shop clean up. Spread some Preen on all the weed beds. Feed the birds and other critters. Maybe a bit of turning. Same old stuff, different week end. o_O :cool:

Weather is supposed to warm up a bit here, too. I still have some shop cleanup I've been putting off since the first of the year. If I get motivated I'll get started on a picture frame I've been needing to make for LOML. Her birthday is coming up in a couple of weeks, and I'd like to give it to her then.

Tomorrow evening I'm going to a 2nd Birthday/Open House at the Dovetail Community Workshop. I've become Facebook friends with the lady who runs it, but have never actually gone there to check it out. Pretty sure I have better tools than they have there, so I've not really had the need nor the desire to pay to use their shop. Still would be nice to make some connections in the local woodworking community.

Sunday is our shooting club's monthly Range Day. I recently traded a S&W revolver that I don't need for a new Sig P365 (and some cash) at Cabela's, so I'm looking forward to putting the new pistol through its paces. The shooting I've done so far with it has been great.

@Darren Wright I cooked a corned beef in my sous vide cooker last weekend. 10 hours at 180º made for the best sandwich meat I've had in a long time. Super tender but firm enough to get nice thin slices. I soaked it in water for 24 hours prior to cooking to reduce the saltiness, and it came out great. I highly recommend it. :thumb:

Bobbie and I just returned from spending a few days in Apalachicola, FL. Today is her birthday and she wanted to go there for the shrimp, gumbo, and shopping. How could I deny her???

Saturday will definitely include shop time - need to make some progress on two cremation urns I'm building for SIL.

Sunday should be our normal routine with me preparing brunch - pancakes, bacon and eggs this week. Then I'll chill until race time.

Wife and I have been really sick all week. Flu, or something like it. We both have horrible coughs, low grade fever and just 'Blah!' feeling. Other than walking out to get the mail and paper each day, we have't left the house since last Friday. Ironically, I had a scheduled doctor's appointment on Tuesday. They called me about an hour before and rescheduled for next week because - guess what - the doctor was was sick with the flu.

It's been a bad week -- but we'll get over it!

@Darren Wright I cooked a corned beef in my sous vide cooker last weekend. 10 hours at 180º made for the best sandwich meat I've had in a long time. Super tender but firm enough to get nice thin slices. I soaked it in water for 24 hours prior to cooking to reduce the saltiness, and it came out great. I highly recommend it. :thumb:
That does sound good. I'll have to give it and Dave's method a try.

I am going to finish the clock I have been working on for WEEKS! It was a free pattern, of a very intricate, fragile, bigger than expected clock. I wanted to do it for practice, before I do a beautiful clock I want to do. Well, this test run has kicked my butt! Part of the problem is I did it with Cherry and much of the ornate pieces are 1/8" thick, very fragile and I have broken many pieces trying to glue the thing together and had to redo them. There is a lot of gluing of odd angles and difficult to clamp things. I will be glad to be done with it, may celebrate with a bonfire!!! I looked at the plans of the clock I want to make last night and I think it will be a piece of cake compared to this current one. Can't wait to get started on the one I really want.

Drove from Abilene area to Austin today. Grandson is rowing for Texas A&M Galveston tomorrow. Apparently the amateurs row at 8:30 a.m. Grandma is not happy about that. Limited parking, apparently no bleachers, grandson doesn't know which way they row, where we should sit, or how many times he's racing tomorrow. Oh well worth it to get to see him and our son for a while anyway.