Spray tent - any experience?

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Rockler has this spray tent on sale for $39. Seems to me to be a good deal as I doubt I could rig up my own for much less. No floor, but that's not a big deal. can be used inside or out and it would fit in my shop as a temp set up.

Any one familiar with this? The reviews look pretty good.

59258-01-1000.jpg

Heck, for the price in comparison to a real tent, I'd get that for the grandkids to play round in, it's usually setup in the house anyway. :D

Kidding aside, looks like a nice setup, with prime shipping on the one Bill linked, it's tempting.

Now that's a great idea. Especially for smaller dusty shop.

One thing to look at on that amazon one is there are 2 different tents, one without a floor and WITH a front flap, and one with a floor and no flap on the front.

so the one with a floor has no way to close it up.

I have the Rockler version. I've used it both in the shop and out on the driveway. I just lay down a tarp first.
Assembling it for the first time is a bit confusing, unless they've improved the instructions. After that, no problem. Getting it to fit back into its 'convenient storage bag' can be a bit of a challenge, too.

It does a good job of containing overspray, and keeping dust out. BTW, I should say that I only spray waterborne finishes and shellac, and I use HVLP guns set as low as they'll go while still allowing good atomization, so overspray is minimized.

As an addendum to my earlier post - when using the tent outside you'll probably need tie-downs. They're not provided. One good gust of wind could ruin your whole project.
several 1 gal water bottles (filled) make pretty good anchors for these things if he wind doesn't get o heavy and they'll work on concrete driveways. And they're portable.

I ordered one as well. I've got a sideboard I need to spray. It's been too cold so far this winter, and my space in the garage has been cramped.

When It warms up a bit, I'll set it up on the driveway on a nice calm day and see how it works.

Back when I sprayed items I did not have spray tent so I have no experience with one. I always used a large cardboard box and a turn table. The box was open only on one side and the lazy susan turn table allowed me to rotate the piece to get an even spray.

Hard to beat the price of a cardboard box that people want to get rid of anyway.

Looks like it could also double as a photo tent for larger items. Might be tricky finding a good backdrop that's large enough, though.
Great minds think alike. My thoughts also. I bought a photo tent recently... Darn, much bigger than I need. I have one that is too small for some things, now one bigger than I need, Guess I will go ahead and get a mid size one than I will have every situation covered. I would like to be able to afford an expensive digital camera to use, but nothing I do is important enough to justify the cost.

I'll be interested to hear the reviews on these tents. I had never heard of them until they came up on another forum. A fellow there asked about using a $300 camping tent in his garage as a spray booth. Not sure how that conversation ended, but these were suggested as a replacement. I suspect they would be a step up from the shower curtains I hang from ceiling rails.