Sawdust and Snakes

Mike Stafford

My father bought 37 acres of land when he moved in Winston-Salem although we actually lived right outside in Forsyth County. He gave his mother and father one acre of that property where they built a house not far from ours.

It was a long and narrow piece of land which included some open areas, old farming plots and heavily wooded areas. Daddy found out when he picked a spot to build that there was a granite deposit that extended all the way to China which made it difficult to bore a well. Our well had to be located over 800 feet away below a large open field which we used for a vegetable garden.

I know most people envision a vegetable garden as some small well-tended plot of land loaded with fresh vegetables. Our garden was probably 2 acres scratched out of hard red clay. It was not unusual for us to plant 100 tomato plants in a single row along with equally long rows of corn, beans, peas, okra, green peppers, squash, and melons etc. if that will provide a sense of scale. Of course this garden was not only for our family but also for my grandparents and their two youngest boys who were the uncles I never called uncle except to embarrass them as they were only 2 and 4 years older than me. We all spent many hours hoeing that garden together which seemed more suited to growing weeds than vegetables.

My dad’s father we called “Pop” and he faithfully helped tend the garden. He worked tirelessly in the garden and had the green thumb my Grandmother did not. Grandma and Mom canned and froze the bounty from our garden and we ate well during the summer as every night we had butterbeans, string beans, peas, okra, tomatoes, corn, and squash. We had new potatoes, green peas and onions in the spring and collards, turnips and mustard greens in the fall. I did not have an appreciation for how well we ate until I was an adult and sat down at a table without benefit of a garden.

Along one side of this “garden” was a heavily wooded area with the rotted and crumbling remains of an ancient saw mill surrounded by large piles of decaying sawdust covered in leaf litter. So old was this sawdust trees grew up through the rotten black piles. The thick tree canopy made the area dark, dank and spooky in that part of the woods and walking through that area was like walking on a deep carpet of sponges.

Grandma liked to plant flowers and ornamental plants. She was always bringing home a cutting of this or that and planting it in the front yard. About the only thing she was able to keep alive were some straggly hollies and sickly looking Nandina bushes. Her flowers never seemed to survive our summers. It probably didn’t help that the red clay in which she was planting her flowers was only a few inches deep over the giant granite boulders upon which the house was built.

Every spring she had a job for me and my uncles. Grandma would send us to get several wheelbarrow loads of rotted sawdust and spread it around her plants. In retrospect I think this is what killed her flowers and ornamentals as the sawdust robbed the plants of nitrogen. My uncles did most of the work as I was too little to push the wheelbarrow back up the hill from the decayed saw mill.

So down the hill we would go with a rumbling old wheelbarrow that Pop had built. It was made entirely from wood except for the axle shaft and a solid iron cart wheel. The sides of the barrow could be removed so that it could haul wood or anything else that did not require sides for containment. Pop even shaped the handles with a spoke shave so they were round and somewhat comfortable to hold.

It was hard to push the wheelbarrow through the spongy rotten sawdust and the sawdust itself was hard to shovel as tree roots and vines grew freely throughout its richness. But we dug and eventually filled the wheelbarrow with as much sawdust as my uncles thought they could push back up the hill.

As we were starting to leave we noticed some movement in the sawdust in the wheelbarrow. There were baby snakes in the sawdust! And not just any baby snakes, baby copperhead snakes! Copperheads were known by a variety of different names depending on who you talked to but most included words along the lines of rattle-headed-copper-leafed-moccasin-snakes. Some of my family members identified every snake as a moccasin.

Copperhead snake.jpg
The deadly rattle-headed-copper-leafed-moccasin-snake.​

All of us boys were very familiar with copperheads. We had had problems with them on our property throughout the years and it was not uncommon to see them sunning in the garden, driveway or on our patios or porches. Pop had been bitten by a copperhead on the little finger on his left hand while he was picking vine tomatoes and ended up losing the use of his finger as the operation that was performed to save it probably did more damage than the snake bite.

My mother once brought a small copperhead back to the house in an old rusty and holey galvanized 3 gallon bucket filled with tomatoes. We surmised that the snake crawled from under the tomato vines into a hole in the side of the bucket. She was in the process of washing the red dust from our red clay garden off the tomatoes when she saw the snake in the bucket and it moved. Mom screamed and I had to run down to the garden and get Pop who dispatched the unfortunate snake before it was canned.

Well, we looked down and the ground was fairly swarming with baby copperheads and here we were barefooted and in shorts. We made a hasty retreat and ran back up the hill to tell Grandma that there were snakes in the sawdust. Grandma was afraid of snakes and for sure that was the end of our annual job of hauling sawdust to smother her flowers.

Pop listened to our story and had one thing to say, “Boy, if you know what’s good for you you’ll stay out of that old sawmill.” Well I knew what was good for me and I never went back into that section of woods ever again. Besides I had no desire to push that heavy wheelbarrow loaded with sawdust back up the hill.

:rofl: Cool story, Mike. Actually, copperheads are moccasins. Same family. Agkistrodon if I remember my herp stuff well. I have a variety of welcomed critters in my shop as it is open in the front and has a dirt and rock floor. Which is why I keep the shavings bagged up and stored for garden use by myself and other family members. If they want shavings, they gotta come get them and feed me tamales. That's the deal. I am constantly being supervised out there by rough back lizards, birds of all kinds, and of course my rat snakes. Sometimes I find it amazing that I get anything done.

My mother used to tell a story on my dad... we lived in East Texas and farmed on the halves with who ever owned the land... We had a lot of sand racers (lizards) that ran all over the place.... One day dad was plowing on the hill above the house and plowed up a nest of what Mom call "ground rattlers"(snakes).. somewhere on top of that hill one of the sand racers (lizards) ran up insde my dad's pants leg but didn't touch him until it reach about hip level... Mom looked out saw my dad standing on top of that hill stark naked as he'd shed everything thinking one of those snakes had crawled up his pants leg.... Dad wasn't normally afraid of snakes, I've seen him catch a bull snake (what we called chicken snakes because they would eat eggs or baby chicks) by the tail and crack it like a whip to snap it's head off... I was about 4 when I saw that and had nightmares for several years of that snake chasing me to the house and he always caught me at the porch steps.

As said earlier, now not necessarily afraid of snakes, if I see them first... not so much afraid of them hurting me, more likely they make me hurt myself.

Chuck's story about his dad reminds me of the story about how the farmer broke his arm.

It seems this farmer came in for supper and was all sweaty and dirty. He told his wife he was going to take a shower before supper. His wife waved him on and went about her business.

A moment or two later a movement on the floor caught her attention and she looked to see a snake slithering on the floor having squeezed through the crack under the screen door. She screamed and jumped up on a chair and watched the snake go into the living room and crawl under the couch.

Her husband heard the scream and came running all naked and wet. "What's wrong?," he asked. She said, "A snake went under the couch."

So the husband got down on all fours and was using a fireplace poker to try and get that snake out from under the couch. While his attention was focused on the snake the family dog came up behind him and placed its nose right where dogs like to place their noses. The husband instinctively jerked and banged his head on the wooden frame of the couch and knocked himself out.

The wife did not see her husband hit his head and when she saw him on floor not moving she thought he had a heart attack and called the rescue squad. They came and assessed the husband and loaded him onto a stretcher and were about to take him to the ambulance when the husband awoke. He protested he was all right and demanded to have the straps taken off of his body so he could get off the stretcher. The EMTs said they thought he should be taken to the hospital.

While this argument was going on the snake came out from under the couch and scared one of the EMTs who proceeded to drop his end of the stretcher.

The farmer tried to catch himself with his hand and that is when he broke his arm. :p

Last edited:
My dad had a moment with a snake.

He was working in Oklahoma on a ranch fixing fences. The area there was flat, barren and (oddly) didn't even have many rocks. He was out along the fence tightening some wire when he hear that old familiar buzz rattle rattle. A big old snake had coiled itself around his shovel. Being the flat barren wasteland it was there wasn't much to use to shoo the snake off with. So wanting to get on with the job he threw is wire pliers at it. In a one in a million shot the pliers landed with the handles straddling the snake mid body effectively pinning it in place.. but also allowing it ample range to most of the shovel area. After some maneuvering he was able to get ahold of one end of the shovel and flip the pliers off the snake.

Type of pliers in question:

1590088274607.png

I'm not a very big fan of snakes, but after living out here in the high desert for the last 14 years or so, I've gotten used to them.

I've even come to like seeing the gopher snakes as they are pretty docile and do a good job of keeping the rodents at bay, and hopefully out of my engine bays.

Haven't really seen as many snakes for the last couple of years since I yanked a couple hundred feet of dense juniper bushes out from the front of the house. They were a real fire hazard, and even though I liked the habitat they provided for the quail, the rats and mice liked them just as much, which seemed to really attract the snakes.

That being said, I did have 2 rattle snakes stop by to say high last weekend. 0 out of 10, do not recommend, lol. One I convinced to get away from my bbq by spraying with the hose, the other took a bit more work with sticks and some snake grabber tongs.

I always found most rattlers west of the Mississippi River to not want anything to do with people if they had any say in the matter at all. When I got on the East Coast as a Marine I learned that the Eastern Diamond back not only gets bigger, but a whole lot meaner. And, of course you have the infamous Canebreak Rattler that actually hibernates with cottonmouths. What does that tell you about that things attitude??? MEAN!!!

a block north of me is the state trust land which is basically thousands of acres of wilderness. Hunters use it during the season for Dove hunting and a few cowboys graze a few cattle on it but generally speaking not many folks spend any time up there. One afternoon while leaving my development I saw a Van stopped in the middle of the road on the entrance and I looked in front of his Van was a big ole Diamond Back but 5 or 6 feet long. The guy didn't know what to do and not wanting the snake to get into the development I decided to lend a hand. So I reached into the console of my truck and pulled out my .22 magnum that I keep loaded with shot shell (Arizona is a constitutional carry state meaning you can carry either open or concealed as long as your not a felon and 18 or older). It only took one shot and then I used a hoe I had in the back of my truck to pick up the dead snake and deposit him in the back of my truck. I took him to a friend of mine and the snake is now a hatband or a belt or something. BTW I hate snakes.

Since we are telling tall tales about snakes I will have to tell you the one about the Cottonmouth water moccasin I encountered while fishing for crappie in Currituck Sound in Northeastern N.C. We went on a yearly trip fishing for largemouth bass, crappie and other sunfish.

On this particular day we were anchored next to a duck blind (Currituck is shallow in many places) and fishing with crappie jigs on the end of long bamboo poles. It is great fun to fish this way. Crappie will school around the pilings for the blind and sometimes you can catch your limit very quickly. I had a particularly vicious bite and I thought it must be a largemouth bass which will sometimes hit the small jig. As I struggled to pull it in I was dismayed to see that a rather large cottonmouth moccasin had grabbed the fish which explained the extra weight and difficulty I was having bringing it to the boat.

Well, I didn't want to drag that cottonmouth moccasin into the boat and I didn't want to give up my fish so I had to come up with a solution to get the snake to turn loose of the fish. My fishing partner had a fifth of Jack Daniels with him and said, "Pour a little of this on that snake. He will drop the fish."

I did as I was told and almost immediately that cottonmouth moccasin got the funniest look on his face and he dropped the fish and swam away.

Never gave it a second thought until the next year when we went on our trip the next year. We anchored at the same blind and before I could put my bait in the water that cottonmouth moccasin swam up with a big crappie in his mouth. He obviously wanted another drink.....:giggle:

A friend of mine and I were canoeing in the Okeefenokee Swamp and were way back off the main passages and had a pretty big cottonmouth try and come in the canoe. We discouraged it's endeavors with the edge of the canoe paddles. Never smack anything with the flat of the paddles unless you have a good supply of them on hand.

Back in 1980 I had just moved back to Texas from California and was visiting my dad in Groesbeck... it's very near Springfield lake, more often called Fort Parker lack 'cause it's near where Cynthia Ann Parker was kidnapped by the Comanchee's at old Fort Parker... My son was just about 8 years old and wanted to ride the paddle boats at the lake.... we were paddling around one of the inlets and paddled into a swarm of moccasins swimming in the water... fortunately none tried to get on the paddle boat, but I wasn't sure if I wasn't going to have grab my boy and do a Jesus walk on water out of there....

Some years earlier story was that a fellow dove off the diving platform in the swimming area, into a nest of moccasins... he was bitten about 50 times by the time he reached shore and was dead when they pulled him out.

A friend of mine and I were canoeing in the Okeefenokee Swamp and were way back off the main passages and had a pretty big cottonmouth try and come in the canoe. We discouraged it's endeavors with the edge of the canoe paddles. Never smack anything with the flat of the paddles unless you have a good supply of them on hand.
Yeah, I learned that from President Jimmy Carter who tried to fend off a killer bunny rabbit that tried to get in the boat with him. He beat that poor bunny senseless with his paddle.

well i got a snake story as well.. my brother would purposely grab snakes and chase me with them so i had a bad feeling for them when not seeing them first... fast forward to adult years i was doing some preseason scouting on some hunting ground with my hunting partner it was august and hot, had seen a large black snake and let it go on its way while doing our work,, got back to the farm house and the owner and his 8 yr old son were in the yard, his son was playing with a Trex toy, typical boy not a care in the world.. well we headed over to the water faucet and my partner was in the lead we walked by the son and as i was nearing the water my partner turned around and shook a fake snake at me... i am not a track star and then was 245 and over 6ft i ran over the the 8 yr old actually hurdled him.. i wars gone NOW.. my partner and the land owner laughed so hard we needed a stiff drink to calm down.. the boy wasnt hurt and we now laugh about the experience. over the years i have learned to look closer and dont have the fear i once had..

These stories ( tall tales?) made my day. Thanks guys for sharing. I grew up in N Mex running wild in the desert and mountains and can count the Rattlers I saw on one hand. Maybe they saw me but never did make there presence known.
David

I my childhood I would go to the farm on my old buddy Phil and when we went out we carried a sawed off 410. It came in handy a few times.

When I was a kid all of us boys had a bush axe. We thought we were a bunch of Vikings after seeing The Vikings with Kirk Douglas, Tony Curtis and Ernest Borgnine. The closest thing we had to a Viking axe was a bush axe so we marched around with our sharpened to razor sharpness bush axes. We built camps down in the woods and cleared the forest to get the timber we needed for our camp. We carried a sharpening stone all the time to keep those bush axes razor sharp.

Woe be unto any unfortunate snake that crossed our path. I am pretty sure we invented sushi because that is what we turned every pitiful little snake into.....

Now this was a long time ago. I was about 10 or so and so were the other boys. We marched up and down the road everywhere with our bush axes. We went to the little country store with our bush axes and the only restriction was that the owner said we had to leave them on the porch.

Can you imagine a bunch of 9, 10 or 11 year old boys marching around with bush axes over their shoulders today? First the police would come and arrest the kids and the parents would be hauled into court for failure to supervise. When we got older and all of us got 22's we marched around with them. The man at the store also said we had to leave them outside on the porch. Today a SWAT team would be called. Times have changed....and best of all we didn't shoot up the school or anything else but tin cans and crows.