Maybe I am a Curmudgeon

Dave Hoskins

Or then again, maybe I'm not alone in this. The saying "Stay Safe" is finally getting to me. No matter whether you are watching TV, or eating out or wherever, all I seem to hear is this "Stay Safe" crap. I have never played it safe in my life, even as a kid. Why should I start now? Ya gotta be kidding me. I didn't have the nickname "Dangerous Dave" for being safe. Anyway, I don't know if anyone else feels the same way or not. I know. I know. I am not being politically correct. Just saying what I think makes more sense to me. Guess I thought I would see if anyone else felt this way.

As the father of three sons, I have said "stay safe" or words to that effect, many, many times. They're all still here so I guess it played a part in that, and well pure blind luck was most of it... The last thing I would say to them when I would drop them off at a deer blind would be "Be Safe"... I suppose they always were.

But, I understand what you're talking about. A phrase gets overused and becomes meaningless. Obviously, turning a 16 year old boy loose with an F250 or a 30-06 is cause to say "stay/be safe". Simply an ad lib to "seeya later... stay safe" might be overdoing it a bit.

My father had it right. His (paraphrased) was "Be safe or I'll break your neck"...

Alan

Of course you're a curmudgeon, Dave. We've known that for a while, lol. But I tend to agree with you on the overuse of that term. People use it reflexively these days. I don't watch regular TV anymore, but there's still a lot of people and companies virtue signaling (in my opinion) by using the term.

That said, LOML and I quote the Sergeant on Hill Street Blues any time one of us is leaving the house without the other. We always say "Be safe out there" but that has nothing to do with the virus...it has to do with living in a city with a high crime rate. :rolleyes:
P.S. Stay safe, Dave! :rofl:

Last edited:
Well, as someone who is experiencing some health issues I have mixed emotions about this whole thing. I have spent 15 days in the hospital of late including 6 in ICU when they thought I had Covid but it turned out to be something else. They treated the something else; things got better and then they got worse as I had a reaction to the medications. I went back into the hospital and the original problem was back so they switched medications and it cleared up. 12 days later I am back in the hospital with a return of the original problem which turned out to be an autoimmune disease causing my natural bacteria/flora to get out of hand. Hopefully all of that is behind me.

The result of all this was I had a pericardial infection which resulted in a pericardial effusion (fluid around the heart) which then developed into atrial fibrillation. After 15 days in the hospital and all the rest of it I am in no shape to be exposing myself to Covid.

I am trying to play it safe. I have never been sick in my life until this jumped on me. I am older now so I guess some of these things are to be expected.

I am not going to tell anyone what they need to do with their life but I am going to play it safe for a while.

As Sergeant Phil Esterhaus used to say on Hill Street Blues, "Let's be careful out there." Everyone stay safe and be well.

... any time one of us is leaving the house without the other. We always say "Be safe out there" but that has nothing to do with the virus... ...
Ditto!

I guess I didn't realize a habit I have gotten into by saying, "Be careful out there" to my wife when she's headed into town. She's a safe driver, but there are idiots on the road even in our small community.

Everyone has their opinion on this and that's what makes this forum great! If you are at risk of getting sick, then take precautions. Taking away my back, neck, and knee problems I am healthy as a mule. Honestly, the way I figger it is if somehow I caught that stupid virus, and it makes me go the way of the dinosaurs, so be it. I'll be able to say it was a good ride and St. Peter when can I go again! Besides I am too mean and ugly to get it. I can't even get the flu. Haven't ever had it my whole life! See what mean and ugly gets ya?? :rofl::rofl:

You can do whatever you want with your life, but provided you do not affect others with that. If you do not want to take precautions, for instance wear a face mask, you've got to do it for the others around you who may not share the same daredevil character. You are not alone in this world Dave, wearing a face mask to prevent the virus spreading and catching on others specially when there are so many people infected who are asymptomatic is not the same situation as wearing or not wearing a motorbike helmet where if you crash it will be your head the one that will get broken, and not somebody else's.
Maybe you were not referring to this and only to the "stay safe" sentence that is on trend nowadays, after all is just a sentence, like "take care" "yours truly" and many others, being english a foreing language to me sometimes I find difficult to catch certain nuances or meanings of sentences.

Around here I am seeing less and less people wearing masks. Toni, I am well aware I am not alone in this world. But, the simple fact is that 95% of the masks sold don't really help that much anyway. And in some cases they are actually bad. A lady I know was at work and had to be taken by ambulance because she couldn't breathe. Turned out the mask was restricting her air flow just enough to make her dizzy and so on. I don't consider myself a daredevil. Just an old Marine who did what was necessary for 26 years. In some cases it was rescuing Americans who did not listen and went into countries that they should not have and got in trouble. So, what happens? Marines come and get them out. If that makes me a daredevil, then I am quite sure those dozens of Americans are glad that I was along with the other Marines that were with me.

I wear a mask, and don't really mind. If it helps a little then that is better than nothing and I am old,,, every little bit helps... The other benefit is it keeps my wife calm... She is very high risk, COPD and other health issues... Makes her feel safer, so I wear a mask and use hand santizer when I go out in public. I do think wearing masks and any precautions one takes is their choice... and should be.

I don't know if I'm a curmudgeon or not but I hate stupid people. I was at the Gym the other day and saw a young 20 something snowflake (can I say snowflake here?) alone sitting in his car with the engine running texting with his mask on. OK maybe I am a curmudgeon.

I don't know if I'm a curmudgeon or not but I hate stupid people. I was at the Gym the other day and saw a young 20 something snowflake (can I say snowflake here?) alone sitting in his car with the engine running texting with his mask on. OK maybe I am a curmudgeon.
In NM motorcycle helmets are not required. I saw a guy the other day riding a crotch rocket with no helmet...but he had his mask on. :rolleyes:

I do wear a mask when I'm out in public, and use hand sanitizer as well.

In NM motorcycle helmets are not required. I saw a guy the other day riding a crotch rocket with no helmet...but he had his mask on. :rolleyes:

I do wear a mask when I'm out in public, and use hand sanitizer as well.
Arizona doesn't have a helmet law either. I have worn a bandanna over my mouth and nose while riding but that was to keep the bug out. They don't taste to good especially at 60 miles an hour.

Like any trending phrase, it can get to you. No curmudgeonality required. Back in college our send-off was always "Drive Fast, Take Chances, Don't Use Your Brakes!" Of course we also used to call each other the most numerous, ever-changing and disgusting nicknames like . . . <Removed per Parental Advisory> :D. I don't even know what some of them meant; they just had to sound offensive. The person who came up with the most insulting name won (temporarily). I don't do this so much anymore (except when I run into someone from those days at random [you should see the looks on their wives face when we use those old names in greeting] :() but, it can't be because I am getting older . . . .

dont do stupid either and have my own thoughts on the mask issue, feel free to put me in the C group.. have my own issues but feel i am going to turn into dust no matter what so as long as i am not harming you go away..

As long as someone is civil with me wishes me well take care have a good day be safe
I t doesn't bother me
There is enough misery in this country today
I wear a mask to keep others calm
I wear a mask because my daughter feels better if I wear one in public
I social distance to make everyone happy
I'd like to believe eventually this country will head back in the right direction or what I consider close to normal

...I don't do this so much anymore (except when I run into someone from those days at random [you should see the looks on their wives face when we use those old names in greeting] :() but, it can't be because I am getting older . . . .
Last year a good friend was in town and LOML and I wanted to take him out to dinner. This was a guy I'd known since right after high school, and he was also our band's sound engineer when we were touring in the early '80s. We spent a lot of time together back in the day. We hadn't seen each other in 35 years or so, but when we picked him up at his hotel, I think the first 4 out of 5 words out of his mouth were words I can't post here and it was in the form of a joking insult. It's like nothing had changed, lol. My wife (who very seldom curses) thought it was hilarious, as did we. She's looking forward to him coming to visit again. :D

After getting in my dosage of tamales this afternoon, we went by Walmart to grab a coupe of things. Maybe half of the customers were wearing masks. So, it's not being enforced here anymore like it was. I will wear it only when it makes everybody happy, though I'm not particularly. But, hey! People are entitled to their opinions. That's what makes this country what it is. Hope everybody ate their guacamole today as it is National Guacamole Day.

I did have some of the ingredients for guacamole, started on keto again last week.

I normally probably wouldn't worry about a mask, but seeing a few folks I know lose income for weeks of work due to getting exposed, I don't want to be the reason they are not able to work. Also, I'm spending time around my wife's 99 year old Grandpa, so have to make sure he can still be allowed to see her grandma at the home.