Chair stretcher

Darren Wright

Administrator
Staff member
I've had a chair from a used table set my daughter bought before moving into their house a few years back sitting in my shop. One of the lower stretchers was broke in half when she got it. I finally got around to removing the old one and turning a new one.
2020-11-22 16.19.01.jpg

I just used a piece of 1 1/8" dowel I had and turned the tapers and tenons to match the old one.
2020-11-22 16.18.54.jpg

The sanded piece, before removing the chucking points
2020-11-22 16.23.17.jpg

It has a captive barrel nut in the center stretcher, so had to counter sink for a tenon and one opposite for the bolt head.
2020-11-22 17.29.33.jpg

All glued up, just need sealed and painted. I'll round over a piece of 5/8" dowel and cut it off for a bung/plug.
2020-11-22 17.38.28.jpg

I also did a 1" brad in each end to help hold it while the glue set up.
2020-11-22 17.44.06.jpg

Nicely done. :thumb: My neighbor has a couple of chairs that need a new stretcher, so they're on my to-do list. They have a bit fancier profile, but I should be able to turn something pretty close to what they need.

Nice repair. Not sure the "Norm" nails were needed, though. A clamp would've worked, and once dry, the glue joint should be stronger than the wood itself.

Looks like the original was painted. Are you going to paint the replacement?

Thanks guys! It was a fun quick project. I had to break off the old tenons as they were bradded in also. Once the brad was out I cleaned out what I could, then cleaned up the hole with a forstner bit.

Nice repair. Not sure the "Norm" nails were needed, though. A clamp would've worked, and once dry, the glue joint should be stronger than the wood itself.

Looks like the original was painted. Are you going to paint the replacement?

Yeah, I wasn't sure the clamp was going to stay tight due to the splay on the legs, so added brads for insurance as I was heading down to watch the game. I wanted to get it glued up as it was going to be freezing this morning and cold for the next few days. It will get some rattle can white after some clean-up and a sealer coat.