Greene and more Greene

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Next project(s) are for a customer in CA. He loves Greene & Greene and I'll be building three projects for him. We started with one but there is a significant savings on shipping to ship all three at once rather than separately.

The first two are in cherry. A sofa table based on a design by Darrell Peart. I built this once before for my church back in Idaho but this one has the ends enclosed with doors on the front. There is also the addition of some 'Gamble house' trim on the end panels. The pulls will be provided by @Leo Voisine . The wood will be cherry. The table is 70" long.
FWW Post.jpg

Also in cherry, and with matching details, is this cabinet. It is 32" wide and stands 30" tall.

Greene Cabinet.jpg

Finally, the third piece is a wine rack. Many of the same details (my client really likes ebony plugs) but this will be in walnut. It stands 30" tall and 26" wide. Interesting detail will be a streak of sapwood across the backsplash - requested by the client.

2-18 b.jpg

All this starts in about a week and I expect will keep me busy for a couple of months.

Last edited:
I sent my customer the picture of the truck full of lumber just to let him know I was getting started on his projects. I received this in the mail this morning as a thank you for starting it a little earlier than scheduled. I guess he figures a little sugar high might keep me moving! :rofl:
Chocolate covered cherries, malt balls, mints, etc. Nice.
IMG_1059(1).JPG

1619014728150.pngNobody knows the truffles I've seen...1619014740355.png
IMG_1058(1).JPG

I decided to start with the legs of the table - all 8 of them. I spent a part of the day yesterday laying out all the mortises. Because the apron framing at the top of the legs lays on its flat I needed something a little stronger than a simple tenon so I am going with dovetailed tenons.
Dovetail Detail.jpg

Cutting the socket is the easy part so long as you get the part properly centered. Cutting the pin proved to be a bit more challenging. I tried pushing it through the bit with just a backer but the rotation of the bit kept pulling the piece out of alignment. So, I did what every woodworker does, checked out YouTube. Not much luck there so I took it up a notch and emailed Glenn. :p

He came right back with a solution - he uses his tenoning jig in the miter slot of his router table. Genius... except it seemed that my miter slot was an inch or more further from the bit than his and I could not get the workpiece close enough. To his credit he did not call me a dummy and waited (only a couple of minutes) for me to have my 'duh' moment. All I needed to do was build out the jig and add a support.

Some scrap plywood and poplar, some screws and CCA and (in my best Buddy Ebsen voice) weeeee doggies!

IMG_1061.JPEG

IMG_1062.JPEG

Near perfect on the first try.
IMG_1063.JPEG

Only 16 of these to cut for the table!

Last edited:
It is hard to tell from the photos, but isn't your jig set up to cutting the socket and not the tail, using a dovetail bit? From how I read your post, I was thinking that you needed a jig for the tail? It could be just me, getting my nomenclature reversed.

It is hard to tell from the photos, but isn't your jig set up to cutting the socket and not the tail, using a dovetail bit? From how I read your post, I was thinking that you needed a jig for the tail? It could be just me, getting my nomenclature reversed.
Keen eye. Actually it was just my forgetting to reset the jig. I had set it first at full extent to see if I could get the part to reach. After adding the build out I did not move the jig back into position for the photo. My bad.