Only 35 gallons left!

Mike Stafford

Woe is me! I only have 35 gallons; 7- 5 gallon buckets full of sandpaper left. I don't know if I will run out of sandpaper before I run out of time.

Back in the days when I was teaching woodturning I supplied my students with the sandpaper they used during their week with me. It was Klingspor Gold which is one of the best papers I have ever used.

At that time Raleigh had a Woodworking Shop store i.e. a Klingspor store and every time I was in Raleigh I would stop by and see what they had. They always had two large dump bins of sandpaper cut offs from their manufacturing plant which could be had for $1.50 per pound. They supplied heavy duty grocery bags with handles and you could fill up a bag with whatever you wanted from the bins. In those bins you could find paper from 40 grit up to 800 grit. All of the grits were not available every time I visited but I tried to keep a mental note of what I needed and what was used most so I could have an ample supply.

I usually bought at least one bag every time I was there. The paper was in various widths, lengths, and grits. When I got it home I tore up the paper and made 10 foot long rolls of 1", 2" and 3" wide paper for the different grits and packed these rolls in 5 gallon buckets. At my peak I had 12- 5 gallon buckets of Klingspor sandpaper. When I taught I would give each student a roll of each to use and take home. I also gave them one pad of each of the 3M woven abrasive pads.

But now I am down to 35 gallons....I have no idea how many rolls are in 35 gallons but the number is fairly large. I still enjoy using that paper and when I throw out a piece I have very little guilt since the cost was minimal.

Woe is me.....

I envy your problem. I bought one of their boxes of scrap some years ago and I'm still using it. One of things was several of the grits in the box were way too coarse for most stuff I do. But it was still a bargain, and I've got some of the finer grits to use up yet.

I am stingy with sandpaper. I keep using it over and over and over until I call it done. Occasionally I toss one over used piece in the trash.

I do use 40 grit often. It is primarily for fast and rough material removal and for shaping.

I don't know what I would do with that much sandpaper, but it would be a NICE to have.

I am stingy with sandpaper. I keep using it over and over and over until I call it done. Occasionally I toss one over used piece in the trash.

I do use 40 grit often. It is primarily for fast and rough material removal and for shaping.

I don't know what I would do with that much sandpaper, but it would be a NICE to have.
Leo, an instructor of mine once said that you were supposed to use sandpaper as if Vaughn McMillan was paying for it. I have lived by that admonishment ever since and I just bill Vaughn for all my sandpaper purchases. :p

Mike,

Klingspore didn't move all that far. Check their new address either on the back of their catalog or online.
They are just one town away from the old location now. https://www.yellowpages.com/cary-nc/mip/klingspors-woodworking-shop-539487300

Charley
Yep, I know they moved but my circumstances have changed and I am hesitant to drive that far these days. I have been to the new store a couple of times when I was riding with a buddy. I don't drive as far as Raleigh anymore by myself. Getting old and sick is not much fun.

Don't remember where it was said, may have been here, but some wise sage opined, "use sandpaper like someone else was paying for it". The logic behind this strategy is that once the paper loses the majority of its bite you are spending too much time trying to achieve what could be done very quickly using a fresh sheet.