SNOW???

Powers out all over the place around us, lots of heavy ice/snow/wintery mix the last couple days. We were out for only a couple hours when they had to de-energize a section to fix a down line safely so not to bad yet.

Supposed to dump a TON of rain on top of a couple feet of snow tomorrow which combined with 70mph winds should be a lot of fun.

Got a little last night, I cranked up the heater here in our apartment and put on a yule log (tv show) on the tv, 3 hours of watching the fire burn and not have to feed it. ;)
I love a nice fire on a snowy day. I've been reading about the effort in some states to prohibit home heating with wood. I hope that doesn't happen here.
Same here, was hoping to fire up the outdoor wood boiler when we get back and start using it. I have to fix the water softener and cut some downed wood up first.

Snow? You mean this stuff? We got 16" last night to go with the 16" we already had on the ground. They are predicting 6" more by the end of the day/night....
Sure is a pretty view, Bill. Hope you have a good snow blower 'cause that's heart attack snow if you're shoveling.
I recall helping a friend shovel about that much off his roof up in the Adirondacks one year. Lots of snow and then it rained and the snow just absorbed it and got to be a dangerous load. We could see the ceiling deflect.

We got 16" last night to go with the 16" we already had on the ground.
Looks like a good workout (y)

The potential for rain on top is definitely a concern, not with the amount i have at the moment but I've done some rather frantic emergency remediation before.

I will say that the Gambrel roof on the shed does an absolutely FANTASTIC job of shedding snow. Even the really heavy wet stuff we get around here. If I was building a shop or similar in heavy snow country it would imho be well worth consideration on how that works (yes there are other options that are likely as good - just throwing this one out there as an example).

Sure is a pretty view, Bill. Hope you have a good snow blower 'cause that's heart attack snow if you're shoveling.
I recall helping a friend shovel about that much off his roof up in the Adirondacks one year. Lots of snow and then it rained and the snow just absorbed it and got to be a dangerous load. We could see the ceiling deflect.
Actually Ted, it is powder snow. We are on the East side of the Cascades and all the moisture gets dumped on the West side. First time I tried shoveling snow over here, I almost hurt myself as I was winding up to take a hefty heave at the snow and the shovel passed right though it, knocking me off balance. I was accustom to the heavy cement they call snow in Bellingham. It does cause a hazard when on the roads. If you are following someone, it is like a white-out as the snow blows up into the air from the passing vehicle.

Looks like a good workout (y)

The potential for rain on top is definitely a concern, not with the amount i have at the moment but I've done some rather frantic emergency remediation before.

I will say that the Gambrel roof on the shed does an absolutely FANTASTIC job of shedding snow. Even the really heavy wet stuff we get around here. If I was building a shop or similar in heavy snow country it would imho be well worth consideration on how that works (yes there are other options that are likely as good - just throwing this one out there as an example).
Interesting a lot of the house around here are now built with shallow pitch shed roofs. Counter to what I expected. They are built to handle the snow loads though. You should see the massive beams in my place. They built to avoid snow coming off of roofs. If you see my roofs they are shallow, but what you can't see now is that they have snow retention guards to keep the snow from sliding off. That snow you see will stay there until spring.

. If you see my roofs they are shallow, but what you can't see now is that they have snow retention guards to keep the snow from sliding off.

I saw those were a thing on a lot of metal roofs, which I thought was super interesting. I can't tell what your roof is made of. I suppose the whole shebang sliding off at once can cause a lot of damage in those cases.

The Gambrel roof doesn't seem to slide off as much as let the wind take it away. That might be half due to the angle of the building as the roof is parallel to the wind flow now that I think of it..

We get mostly what you'd call "Cascade Concrete" where I am as well so I was sort of impressed at it moving at all haha. I shoveled out a small section of the drive this morning and although there was only maybe 3" there (it's been shoveled and blown repeatedly..) I couldn't move more than maybe 3' of distance before it was to heavy to lift.

I saw those were a thing on a lot of metal roofs, which I thought was super interesting. I can't tell what your roof is made of. I suppose the whole shebang sliding off at once can cause a lot of damage in those cases.
It is metal and so is the siding. Less to burn in case of wildfires. I had to go back over a year to find a photo showing the roof with the snow retention guards. Without the guards, the snow slides off the roof and piles up against the house. I saw that with a new house that was built, where they didn't have the snow guards on. There was a huge (like in really big!) pile up against one side of the house. So I think the strategy now is to keep the snow on the roof and let it melt off in the spring.

As for you removing snow this morning, you probably worked harder than I did even though I probably removed a lot more snow!
IMG_20191005_083604056_HDR.jpg

Those are a lot more impressive snow guards than some I've seen.

The steel siding and roof are definitely good for the fire risk. The other bit I'd cross check is the vents since that's the one place embers can really get sucked into the house. The newer California standards have been battle proven as being super effective (one example was a development where one half had them and was fine and the other half didn't and was 100% burned to the ground). This site has some great details https://ucanr.edu/sites/fire/Prepare/Building/Vents/

That's quite a nice little mountain valley spot you found there.

Snow? You mean this stuff? We got 16" last night to go with the 16" we already had on the ground. They are predicting 6" more by the end of the day/night.
View attachment 119190
View attachment 119191
View attachment 119192
View attachment 119193

you should think about investing in a snow blower. thats alot of snow....my daughter went to school in buffalo NY area, when she slept over her friends house in the area, they had to climb out second story window to climb down when snow would bury entrance doors. you also have some snow load on those roofs. this year I gave my 22 year old snowblower to my son in law and daughter. ...they have little to clean...but the machine wont die....I wanted a larger engine with a more modern more efficient machine. tough to find a snow blower on long island these days, nothing available...but I got a new toro....I think its a 252 cc engine...dont recall...the best part of it is the mechanism to control the shoot, it only requires one hand...has a ball and you rotate it and go up or down...fabulous.