SNOW???

It looks nice Bill. I assume that’s not your only piece of snow removal equipment?
We have a plow service that comes every 6" and plows about 3/4 mile of shared road, plus my long driveway and our parking area. It still leaves paths and digging out around the vehicles. Planning on a tractor this year and if that works out, will probably tag team with another neighbor that has a JD with plow and snowblower attachments. We have a narrow shared road that is hemmed in by a steep hill on one side and a steep drop off to the creek below on the other. The plow service is just a truck with a front plow and later in the season he runs out of room to push snow. With a snowblower, this problem would not exist as we could shoot it down the bank toward the creek.

While it is nice to have someone do the plowing, I would rather control my own destiny. Often you have to wait a day or two before they get around to you. Beside we would just do a better job clearing things. Just the small details they either overlook or is not cost effective to have them do.

I also need to reshape some paths this summer to allow for more mechanical removal of snow and less manual.

We have a plow service that comes every 6" and plows about 3/4 mile of shared road, plus my long driveway and our parking area. It still leaves paths and digging out around the vehicles. Planning on a tractor this year and if that works out, will probably tag team with another neighbor that has a JD with plow and snowblower attachments. We have a narrow shared road that is hemmed in by a steep hill on one side and a steep drop off to the creek below on the other. The plow service is just a truck with a front plow and later in the season he runs out of room to push snow. With a snowblower, this problem would not exist as we could shoot it down the bank toward the creek.

While it is nice to have someone do the plowing, I would rather control my own destiny. Often you have to wait a day or two before they get around to you. Beside we would just do a better job clearing things. Just the small details they either overlook or is not cost effective to have them do.

I also need to reshape some paths this summer to allow for more mechanical removal of snow and less manual.
We have a big old tractor with front end loader and rear snowblower that easily handles all of our macro snow removal but there’s always the detail work of shovelling the walkways and around the barn. Our son found a real good second hand Honda snowblower last winter to help with that aspect. It’s a great machine, smooth operating and will fire the snow all the way to last week without much apparent effort. It could be an option for your detail snow clearing, but not as much fun or as versatile as a tractor.

Winter is somewhat unpredictable here in our maritime climate. We can get a big dump of 40-50 cm of snow (like tonight) but then a few days later be +5 degrees and raining to take much of it away. We also get onshore northerly winds off the Bay of Fundy, which bring flurries that build up enough that you have to scrape the driveway again.

.Our son found a real good second hand Honda snowblower last winter to help with that aspect. It’s a great machine, smooth operating and will fire the snow all the way to last week without much apparent effort. It could be an option for your detail snow clearing, but not as much fun or as versatile as a tractor.
I also see a walk-behind snowblower in my future. Especially for access to outbuildings I have planned. Too long of a paths to shovel and limited access for a tractor.

We had a slight thaw this week and now it has gone cold again putting ice on top of the paths and road services. So today, I need to go out and break ice on the paths. Hated to see the thaw as I knew this would happen.

We had a snow/rain mix starting about noon Sunday, the rain stopped about 3 pm and was just snow through the evening... light fall... we may have a couple of inches on the ground now. It's pretty when viewed through the windows from inside a nice warm house.

Our snow which amounted to somewhere around 137 flakes turned to rain and flood warnings. It poured for several hours reminiscent of hurricane rains. It is wet here and the weather people didn't even get to warn us about black ice. :p