Temporary farm shop

Stainless steel wool costs a bit more, but doesn't rust and disappear in humidity and plugs mouse entry holes forever, but spray foam works too. They don't seem to like the taste of spray foam.

Charley
I typically stuff the hole loosely with the steel wool and let the spray foam expand through and around it.

Saturday I spent a little time on the third bay to clean up around the windows and see what needs rebuilt as the jambs rotted away and window panes have fallen out.

There was a stack of pine boards along the wall below the windows that termites had their way with. I was able to salvage about half of the boards, the bottom 4 were completely chewed up.
C4827D55-0891-482A-AED2-45F7F002083E.jpeg

Behind the lumber the sill plate is mostly gone and only one stud is still touching for about 5’ in either direction. It’s an easy fix, probably caught it in the nick of time before the back of the roof is really sagging in that area.
A37E735D-FA1A-444D-AFFE-FC730E527A29.jpeg

Today I spent time cleaning out the first bay. I have a wall full of chemicals to deal with, stuff for donation, and things to work into the weekly trash over the next month.
0FE46FDC-2876-494A-BD7D-762C1776DB37.jpeg
I brought a trailer full of tools, my hardware boxes, and my welder. I was able to make room for all of it and get the tractor back inside.
126F9206-ABA8-4B1E-998D-9247E8F60F8B.jpeg E722AA14-3D13-4B46-BB54-D0797BD226BA.jpeg

The 3rd bay is where the windows need replaced, also where most of the yard equipment is. I’ll focus on getting the windows fixed and replacing the trim around the garage doors before doing much more cleanup.
73FCE716-6EB2-428D-AA6E-1223D1FE56F3.jpeg

It's interesting to see the evolution of lawn mowing equipment in that pile. :)
Ha, I think the smokehouse out back has the lawn mower history inside it, probably 60 years worth of mowers/parts stacked up in there. Not in the picture is a scythe hanging from the rafters along the back wall of the garage.

Edit: It’s almost ironic that the vines have covered a good part of that graveyard
067D5F00-4A93-4777-B1A2-94215E06A79A.jpeg

Ha, I think the smokehouse out back has the lawn mower history inside it, probably 60 years worth of mowers/parts stacked up in there. Not in the picture is a scythe hanging from the rafters along the back wall of the garage.

Edit: It’s almost ironic that the vines have covered a good part of that graveyard
View attachment 119350
Looks more like a bush with a door.

It looks like a good building to get you started Darren. It appears to be stud wall construction on a concrete slab, preferable to a pole barn in my opinion. Keeping the tractor and other valuable tools inside will pay long term dividends.
Is the building high enough to add a lean to on the back side? That would be very useful for air drying lumber, firewood and storing some implements.

It looks like a good building to get you started Darren. It appears to be stud wall construction on a concrete slab, preferable to a pole barn in my opinion. Keeping the tractor and other valuable tools inside will pay long term dividends.
Is the building high enough to add a lean to on the back side? That would be very useful for air drying lumber, firewood and storing some implements.
I hadn’t thought about that, but it certainly is a good idea. The well line does run across the back of the garage, but is 3’-4’ out from the foundation, so I could do a pole supported lean to there. The only issue would be if it blocked the view from the back of the house. I’ll have to consider it though.

Today I worked on making room for a work bench and my rolling work table, success!
87C4F587-4403-4395-ADF7-4D6108B76236.jpeg

I went to lunch and came back to this…what do they say about flat surfaces? :huh:
7BE48628-A9D9-423D-8F3E-90747A494B42.jpeg

Actually I cleared off some old shelves and have some new ones to assemble. I did clear up a lot of space removing the old shelves. The new ones are going on the west wall after I filter out some old stuff. ;)
7DF51C92-EE04-44E1-8DC3-7A1C9FC7A48E.jpeg

Bay #3 finally got some attention today. I mostly loaded out a lot of scrap metal though and swept the floors. It doesn’t look like progress but killed off another 100 or so brown recluses. :eek:
691B84F0-5025-40E1-A5DA-A5E47A86872F.jpeg

The dryer and the other lawn mower (under the styrofoam) will be on the next scrap yard run.

Actually I got my garden tool rack setup and all of the tools out of the John Deere garden trailer. The rack is behind the ladder here.
F27DDCE3-C0C8-473E-B159-88A592D43D33.jpeg

I’ve got a bit of dirt to dig with backhoe, so it will be nice to have the garden trailer to move some of it as I dig using the mower, since the trailer has a dump feature.

The middle bay is still occupied by the sawmill, hopefully will have it setup in a couple of weeks.
4D431D52-B1E3-41A9-92CE-3DCC864430C1.jpeg