Friday 4Nov22

Cleaned the leaves put of the gutters Wednesday. Mowed and mulched all the leaves yesterday', so now just set back and watch the storm come through. Supposed to be severe storms today and tonight. We do need the rain but not the damage of bad weather. Now I can just go mess in the shop. Have 4 cutting bords and characeture board (or something like that) in the works. No destination for them just using up scraps laying around.
Everyone have safe and healthy weekend and forever.
David

Setting up a new computer for a friend more digitally impaired than me. Removing some bloatware, installing password manager and antivirus software and setting up her bookmarks. Trying to make things as simple as possible. She has downsized to an active adult care facility half an hour away so Microsoft Quick Assist is going to save me a lot of road time in nasty traffic. Also have the last of the jalapenos sitting in the fridge waiting to become ABT's for the freezer. Lots of puttering to do.

Jon and CJ are coming tomorrow to help me get the last load of logs and a load of butts and crotches a guy had piled up. Supposed to rain in the morning so we will spend some time watching the "A Team!". CJ likes BA! I've watched all the Beverly Hillbillies with all the grandkids. Sunday morning CJ and Jon are going to help me get the steel lines on the John Deere, then reinstall the deck plate (floorboard) and we will then get it back into the machine shed and move the MF T20 to Dad's shop to split it and get the new clutch in it sometime this winter next spring. We will also spend quality time with the litter of pups that are growing beyond belief. Have a great weekend and new week, stay safe and healthy!

Putting an easel back together that got damaged in storage when a stack of boxes fell on it...it's destined to go to a friend of ours that's a great artist... Dianne used it to hold one of her paintings that got displaced by her new cat tree for the kittens.
Need to work on some bowls, cut 8 new bowl blanks from Paulownia day before yesterday and need to turn them. Maybe tomorrow some of them before or after the VOLs game with Alabama. (Correction... we're playing Georgia this weekend... already beat Alabama.)
Sunday working as clerk at the Charles Hall Museum Market Place.

Last edited:
I may run some errands into town over lunch and pickup some stuff to start treating the yellow locust trees on the property with. It is supposed to rain tonight, hopefully so. I need to get the tool trailer back in order, may use it this next week to move the cnc down here from storage. Just getting ready for winter otherwise, more wood to cut and things to winterize.

With the fields being done with hay, the critters are starting to visit again. We've been picking off armadillos as they've been tearing up the yard. This morning we had another critter feasting on one of them.
eagle.jpg

Based on its colors, I'd say it's about 4 1/2 years old. Its head is just starting to turn white and beak has yellowed. There's a nest on the neighbors property that is easy to see. It hasn't had any activity the last two years, so hopefully they will be nesting there again this year.

Potentially amusing update - - - The brutal California winter is upon us!!! It is actually going to be below 70 degrees today!?!. It took about 20 minutes of random drawer opening but I finally found a pair of long pants. I will be wearing them today as a testament to the horrific shift in temperatures we have to endure in my area. I know that FEMA is already responding to many calls for assistance after yesterday's slight moisture residue deposited by some overnight percipitation in the range of about .0021". There was actual visible moisture on my concrete!!! We now return you to your "normal" channel.

I've had a good week. Both my kidney and urology doctors say that things are improving. My kidney function is up to over 50%! For the uninitiated that means I can pee without a problem half the time.:p The other half, well, we'll talk about that another time.:rolleyes:

It has been moderately warm so I have been getting in some shop time. I turned an awl and ground the blade for the article I am writing. I turned a magnet handle, a couple of boxes, some small bowls and rounded up some blanks for whatever.

My wife bought some leather for me, some leatherworking tools and a book on beginning leatherworking so I will have something to do this winter. I want to learn how to make sheaths for my knives and this affords me that opportunity. At present I know nuttin' about leatherwork so when I make my first something you have to promise not to laugh.

I just cooked my wife and myself a fried bologna sandwich. Delish!

Hi ho, hi ho, it's off to the shop I go!

Started my Friday with my primary care doctor - routine follow-up visit. I had some questions for him about my "boy stuff", so he referred me to a urologist. After getting home from the doctor run, I took a few deep breaths, then Bobbie and I headed to Boston for our normal lunch at the Main Street Cafe. Following a nice nap, I assembled a spinach/artichoke dip for the UGA game gathering tomorrow next door. I have a couple other kitchen processes to finish my afternoon.

Saturday, I hope to finish milling some cherry for a simple shelf unit for the neighbors who are expecting in January. I "should" spend more time in my shop doing some cleanup, but . . .

Sunday will start with me preparing brunch for us, then I'll settle in to rest up for watching the NASCAR Cup Championship!!!

It turned into winter overnight here. We got an inch or so of snow on the ground (mostly melted now) and the temp is currently in the mid-30s.

Today's main project is to remove and replace the caulk in LOML's shower. Me and caulk don't get along too well, but it needs to be done and that tube of caulk ain't gonna spread itself. The rest of the weekend is up in the air with no firm plans. Might make an excursion to Tractor Supply. It's on the other side of town, but they're offering a $10 TSC gift card with the purchase of 30 pounds of the dog food we use. Plus, LOML loves tractor Supply. Growing up as a SoCal Valley Girl, she'd never experienced any store quite like it. (She likes it best in the springtime, when they have baby chicks for her to ooh and ahh over. :)

Potentially amusing update - - - The brutal California winter is upon us!!! It is actually going to be below 70 degrees today!?!. It took about 20 minutes of random drawer opening but I finally found a pair of long pants. I will be wearing them today as a testament to the horrific shift in temperatures we have to endure in my area. I know that FEMA is already responding to many calls for assistance after yesterday's slight moisture residue deposited by some overnight percipitation in the range of about .0021". There was actual visible moisture on my concrete!!! We now return you to your "normal" channel.
Be strong, brother. We're all pulling for you! :rofl:

Last edited:
Another potentially amusing update . . .

Where's the $700? I don't see $700.
View attachment 122829
Do you see $700!?!
200w.gif

We getting ready for a little trip to pick up a new Shetland ram, a yearling, so we’ve been re-configuring the kayak trailer into a very small stock trailer once again, to tow behind the Subaru. A couple of able friends dropped in to help me get the panels down from waaay up on top of the lumber racks. There’s a picture on here somewhere of our Ambassador himself, helping me rig it up outside his shop to transport a Michigan ram home a few years ago. The kayak trailer really needs to go into dry dock for sandblasting and painting after many years around the salt water. The city folks will be looking down their noses as we pass by along the Autoroute.
I did some rough math on making the 2500 km round trip with the F350 but it didn’t look good.

The weather is exceptionally warm and sunny here and forecast to stay that way for the next week and more. That’s good for travelling and I hope it holds after we get back. Lots of outdoor work to do here.

I had a full day planned. elen had a quilt show today in mineola ny of all places....so I decided while Im home alone......but due to a bad night last night.....just one of those old age nights where sleep was tuff to find.....I couldnt get my engines running. so basically I did absolutely nothing today. I went for a short walk, which turned into a longer walk once elen called and said they were at a restaurant in town for lunch, so I decided to walk over. mistake, but hey, at least she drove me home. then I watched college football and dozed on and off. very exciting......but I figured all day tomorrow, I need to start cutting bandsaw reindeer, get up early, get a good start....but my daughter called, she asked if we could take the baby first thing in the morning so they can paint the new nursery. so at 7:30 the little ball of energy will be pulling me to go collect rocks with him. he collect them, then when he isnt around I spray paint them different colors for him. and that is my life now.we are looking foward to nashville leaving here the 16th, then stay in smokey mountains for 4 days before heading home. at least we will get away a bit

my wife went out with some women last week, first one womans husband got covid, then she did, the other woman with them got covid, she just called. we dropped the baby off yesterday afternoon because he was running low grade fever and not a happy camper and my daughter wanted him home so she could take him to doctor this morning first thing.
my wife was headed over there this morning at 7 am and my daughter called her, now she has covid, my wife turned around and came home.
my daughter is 5 months p;regnant, her doctor told her only 2 tylenol a day is allowed. and if she starts to get worse, she has to go to emergency room to get the monoclonal antibodies.....Im waiting for elen to tell me bad news now....shes been exp;osed to all of them within the past week. good news is my grandson was running around this morning like nothing is wrong, happy, no fever. playing....elen wont sleep now knowing how sick our daughter is.....and she feels helpless. we wopuld go take the baby but my daughter is too afraid if I get covid....morbidly obese, diabetic, auto immune disease.....I guess she figures I get covid Im done, but I dont think like that......she needs me....Ill take my chances, and so will my wife. covid sucks.....in case anyone didnt know that....I dont even care if I have to cancel our trip next wednesday......Im just concerned my wife exposed to so many covid p;ositive people within a week stays healthy.

in a woodworking note, I glued up a bunch of 8/4 sapele to make large wooden reindeer. trying to keep busy......its 79 degrees here today.2 inch sapele ran me I believe azbout 8 bucks a bf, maybe a bit more, it was a while ago....thankgoodness I purchased alot before prices went up.......so I figured each reindeer cost me 16 dollars in wood. not giving these out to anyone....was going to bring them south with me next week as alot of my relatives Im seeing celebrate xmas and due to the fact they live in florida or tennessee, I really never give them anything I make....each reindeer will be 14 inches in height and ap;rox 5 inches wide and 3 inches in depth

Last edited: