Another Bowl

A truncated WIP in case it's of interest.

Due to thin Blank and not wishing to lose depth due to mounting spigot or socket, mount on support block with Hot Melt glue, also gives addition chuck side clearance for partially forming rear side. Make sure glue is very hot and bubbling.
B1.jpg
(64.06 KiB)

B2.jpg
(71.44 KiB)

Use tailstock centre to align and clamp, use rotating tailstock to support and turn peripheral details in case wood stresses take it out of round as you remove core wood.
B3.jpg
(67.43 KiB)

Undercut rim asap for same reason, using close rest support and sharp tools, I work with lathe in reverse for this for ease of access and vision.
B4.jpg
(70.71 KiB)

B5.jpg
(73.62 KiB)

Remove remainder of core wood, maintaining safety support as long as possible.
B6.jpg
(69.78 KiB)

Sand to finish and seal.
B7.jpg
(79.88 KiB)

Part off from wood block and mount on Cole Jaws to work base, using tailstock support as much as possible for increased rigidity.
B8.jpg
(77.54 KiB)

Sand to finish and seal.
B9.jpg
(75.31 KiB)

Abrasive Buff finish and wax polish with appropriate mops.
B10.jpg
(73.83 KiB)

B11.jpg
(60.29 KiB)

I really like the beaded rim treatment you did on this bowl, added a lot of nice texture to the piece.

Make sure glue is very hot and bubbling.

Are you using a heat gun on it after application? I've had some difficulty with it cooling off to fast otherwise..

That box rest you used with the scraper is nice.

Are you using a heat gun on it after application? I've had some difficulty with it cooling off to fast otherwise..
The glue gun (Bosch) I have produces a reasonable amount of glue at bubbling temp and as long as I'm quick with the mating of the parts does not chill down significantly, indeed this time of year I usually have to wait some minutes for any squeeze-out to set before turning on the lathe.
That box rest you used with the scraper is nice.
Yes rigidity rules if chatter and catches are to be avoided, that particular piece is part of a rest setup I made many years ago & still makes an appearance in its own right for such close support.