Lace bobbins

Ryan Mooney

Staff member
A friend of LOML's is trying her had at lace, and mentioned she'd like to have some longer bobbins than the one sold at the semi-local store.

Anyway here's attempt #1, we'll see if they fit the bill or not in a week or so when I have a chance to drop them off and she gets a chance to try them out.

The little hole in the end is for a loop of beads which are not (as I originally thought..) for weight but to keep the bobbin from unwinding while it's hanging there.

The narrow part is what the thread is wrapped around, it's about 1/8" nominal.

1705354673610.png

Bobbins are used in pairs so it may be an assistance to the Lace Maker to make up some matched pairs in slightly different designs to help identify which bobbin is paired with which.

The holes in the bottom are often used to affix beads to help identify and add weight to keep the tension on the thread.

Edit: Some folks might want a pattern with enough material at the top to allow for a sharp knife slit in the top to secure a thread if there is a risk of a bobbin unwinding whilst moving cushion around.

Last edited:
The lace work she’s doing takes two to four bobbins in a set with a half dozen or more sets in flight at once. So the plan is to basically make five bobbins in each form or type of wood to have enough for a set plus a spare or two and then have multiple sets. I’m kind of trying a few things then we’ll see how reports on usability go :D

The beads also keep the bobbins from untwisting apparently (I’m just repeating what I was told hah). The knife slit isn’t a bad idea, I’ll ask if that would be useful after she gets a bit further in (very much a learning experience for all involved).

All of the bobbins have threads on them. The work is done over a cushion and you basically move the bobbins around in a weaving like pattern to interlock the threads which produces lace. I saw it done once by a gal who did a lot of it and she was amazingly fast. Little bobbins flying all over the place and really detailed fancy lace patterns just flying out. How you’d keep track I dunno, lots of practice I suppose. She wasn’t even hardly looking at it, just talking to folks and glancing down occasionally while her hands did all the work. It was fairly mesmerizing.

T......... I saw it done once by a gal who did a lot of it and she was amazingly fast. Little bobbins flying all over the place and really detailed fancy lace patterns just flying out. How you’d keep track I dunno, lots of practice I suppose. She wasn’t even hardly looking at it, just talking to folks and glancing down occasionally while her hands did all the work. It was fairly mesmerizing.
I first saw cushion lace making in Bruge (Belgium) about 1952/3, at that time there were many women sat outside their cottage doors chatting to each other whilst, as you say, flicking bobbins about in gay abandon without any apparent concentration on the work piece. I guess when you have spent several decades earning your living at such crafts things become automatic.